My computer is running really slow

Hello,

I run Windows 7 on my HP laptop. My computer used to run rather fast, but now it runs really slow. A blue light comes on indicating that something is going on in the background. I just ran SFC /scannow in the command prompt as Administrator, but it found no errors. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why my laptop is running so slow?

Thank you

The first things to investigate following what you have already done is to determine how full is the hard disk and, perhaps more relevant, is the number of programs running in the background which is not necessary for smooth operation. Lots of software suppliers think their programs are indispensable for your machine and are loaded at startup whether required or not.

A little program called WinPatrol has, as one of its functions, the ability to disable or delay the startup of programs which try and insist they are necessary. Be careful, though, that you don't interfere with any necessary Windows files.

https://www.winpatrol.com/

To avoid confusion with WinPatrol, it is the one named WinPatrol (without any further qualifiers) on the downloads page of their site and has a  Scottie dog symbol. The free version is the one to get, at least initially.

Cinque 8 What model laptop are you using - HP have made many different models. If you could provide the exact model number we could be of more help.

Processor type. 

Hard drive capacity. 

Memory size in GB. 

Regarding the previous post - it is not usually possible to upgrade the processor in a laptop.

You could start by uninstalling all the software you no longer use.

Now download, instal and run the FREE version of Malwarebytes https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

This will kill any malware on your computer and give you a list of Pups (Potentailly unwanted programmes) for you to delete.

Then download and install the FREE version of CCleaner from Piriform:- https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

Open this and click on "Analyse" it will then go find and list all the unwanted rubbish. (The scannow command does not do this)

Then press "Run Cleaner" and it will remove it from your hard drive.

Now defrag your C: Drive by Open Windows Explorer

Right click of the C drive

>Properties

>Tools

>Optimise

This may take several minutes to run. Now close down the computer and reboot it - is it now faster? Please report back.

Hello,

I have a HP Pro Book 6555b computer.

A AMD TURION II N530 Dual Core Processor 2.50GHZ

32 bit OS

I have 89GB free of 232GB on my hard drive.

I haven't had a chance to download winpatrol.com yet.

I did run CHKDSK and DEFRAG and it does seem to help somewhat.

Thanks for all of the information!

I recently upgraded my wife's laptop by fitting an SSD instead of the hard drive.

It made a dramatic difference to its speed.

You could do the same - here is the Crucial SSD for your machine

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/probook-6555b/CT10136536

You could also add more memory

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/probook-6555b/CT2293395

There are plenty of videos on You Tube demonstrating how to change the hard drive. This one shows the speed difference.

7 hours ago, cinque8 said:

Hello,

I have 89GB free of 232GB on my hard drive.

In earlier versions of Windows, it was considered opinion amongst some people (me included) that a hard drive (the "C" drive) works more efficiently if it is less than half full. This may not apply so much to recent Windows versions but remember that some working space is necessary on the drive to allow the operating system to function.

If a lot of C drive space is used merely for file storage, it may be prudent to move these files to an external storage medium.

Note:  I agree with AlanHo's suggestion of installing an SSD.

• 5 months later...

The first things to investigate following what you have already done is to determine how full is the hard disk,Ram and, perhaps more relevant, is the number of programs running in the background which is not necessary for smooth operation.Then delete the browser history and computer temp files.Check your Unused software and uninstall him.  

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I believe your computer may have viruses, adware, trojan maybe. You need to remove virus from pc in order to make it fast. Else you can just reset you pc settings, your personal files will not be deleted. Only the settings would be set to default and all the apps would be flushed. Or you can run Malwarebytes in order to remove viruses or adwares. If there is no virus then install an SSD to make the laptop 5 times fast then it is now.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Windows has a built-in diagnostics tool called performance monitor. It can review your computer's activity in real time or through your log file. You can use its reporting feature to determine what's causing your PC to slow down. To access Resource and Performance Monitor, open Run and type PERFMON.

Interesting, nowadays, when I hear people bring in their laptops to the local repair shop, the first thing the technician says to them is "do you want to upgrade your laptop's hard drive to an SSD? It's tons faster, we got some in the back. also, while we're at it, do you want to upgrade the ram too." 😁

Well, I can hardly blame them, SSD's are the solution for aging laptops. You just have to reinstall the OS though,

2 hours ago, pewpewmarc said:

You just have to reinstall the OS though,

Not necessarily - much simpler to clone the H/D to the new SSD - then they don't lose any of their installed programs or customisations. I've done 2 this week 🙂

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Boris said:

Not necessarily - much simpler to clone the H/D to the new SSD - then they don't lose any of their installed programs or customisations. I've done 2 this week 🙂

ahhh, now I remember, there was that option too. 😁

Though some technician guys would still suggest a re-install if you wanted it. To "refresh your system" they'd say. that's sort of true though.

• 3 weeks later...