AWOL again

AlanHo

We are off to the Isle of Wight tomorrow (Friday) morning for a 4 day trip to the Isle of Wight. Staying at the Bembridge Coast Hotel (Warners)

It's a 162 mile (260 km) journey plus a 45 minute sea ferry crossing

Its about time the KIA Niro was allowed to stretch its legs - it has spent too much time lounging in the garage during the recent lousy weather.

The weather forecast is cloudy skies and a maximum temperature of 6C - so I will be taking some warm clothing.

If it proves to be too cold - the hotel bar with my kindle will suit me fine.

We plan on visiting Osborne House and Carisbrooke Castle while we are there. Neither of us have been to the IOW for many years - in my case when I was 12 years old and my parents took me and my younger brother there on a day trip from Portsmouth.  In those days the ferry was passenger only and was a paddle steamer.

I can still remember getting off the ferry on Cowes pier and walking along the wooden pier which had planks with 25 mm spaces in between each plank. You could look down and see the sea. There were fishermen on each side of the pier trying to catch fish - but they were catching a lot of small crabs which they were wedging into the gaps between the planks. I got quite upset seeing the crabs jammed there with their claws waving as they struggled to escape.

8 hours ago, Belatucadrus said:

And follow up with one of those exhaustive technical appraisals on how driving a hybrid long distances varies from a petrol/diesel.

I can treat you to my comparison of the running costs of a plug-in Niro Hybrid which has a battery range of 30 miles and My Niro Hybrid which has a battery range of 3 miles.

I have been keeping a record of the number of trips I have done in my Niro hybrid and their respective distances for a period of 4 months.

It can be summarised as a monthly average of 20 trips and 800 miles total comprising :-

1.     2 trips of 150 miles each way on average
2.     10 trips of 10 miles each way on average
3.     8 trips of 50 miles each way on average
We use our free wrinklies bus passes on the short trips to the local shops on other days

My present Niro had an average economy of 58 mpg over the 4 month period (but 62 mpg for the previous summer months).

If I swap my car for the PHEV version – I calculate that the monthly cost would be approximately as follows. (I have had to make several assumptions which you may not agree with. But one has to start somewhere)

This calculation assumes that the 8.9 kWh battery is allowed to output 6 kWh over a range of 25 miles (0.24 kWh/mile) and that the engine will run for the first 5 miles of each journey to warm up on low power at 120 mpg. Also that the car battery is fully re-charged each day before each trip.

Trip Type 1 (2 Trips. Total miles = 300 miles with 50 miles on EV power)
Engine warm up 2 x 5 miles at 120 mpg = 0.08 gallons
EV running 2 x 25 miles x 0.24 kWh/mile = 12kWh
Engine 2 x 125 at 58 mpg = 4.3 galls

Trip Type 2 (10 trips. Total miles = 100 miles with 100 miles on EV power)
Engine warm up 10 x 5 miles at 120 mpg = 0.42 gallons
EV running 10 x 25 miles x 0.24 kWh/mile = 60 kWh
Engine usage for propulsion = zero

Trip Type 3 (8 Trips. Total miles = 400 miles with 200 miles on EV power)
Engine warm up 8 x 5 miles at 120 mpg = 0.33 gallons
EV running 8 x 25 miles x 0.24 kWh/mile = 48 kWh
Engine 8 x 25 at 58 mpg = 3.5 gallons

Total miles on EV power = 350
Total miles on engine power = 450

Total petrol used per month = 8.63 gallons = 36 litres @ £1.20 = £43.2 (equals 88 mpg overall)
Total electricity consumed charging the battery = 120 kWh @ £0.15/unit = £18

Hence total running costs would be £61/month approximately = £732 for 12 months

Compare that with the cost of running my Niro at present
800 miles @ 58 mpg = 13.8 gallons = 63 litres @ £ 1.20 = £76 (equals 58 mpg overall)

Hence spending more than £10,000 to swap to a PHEV would save me £15 per month or £180 per year. It’s a no brainer.

NOTE
This comparison is not one size fits all. Everyone's average mileage and their type of journeys will differ - as will how heavy their feet are compared with mine.
It does however - seem to show that before you buy a PHEV at its relatively high cost - you should try and estimate whether it really would be a overall cost saver compared with the base Niro hybrid.

2 hours ago, Irene said:

Far too complex for me!  

I shall translate AlanHo has decided to go greener and replace his current older tech Hybrid Kia Niro with the PHEV new one that allows you to plug it in to the mains and get an extended run on electrical only, he has carefully looked at the price and evaluated the running costs of both. He has tentatively booked the delivery of the new car for June 2073.  At this point he will be quids in and start raking in the money.