Forum Maintenance 27th May 2018

Craig

Greetings all,

Due to an error on my part during the server migration that took place back in February, I’m required to perform a task that will take the forum offline for a few hours.

For transparency, the error was ignoring an alert with regards to a Cronjob that was not working on the forum; as a result, the forum database grew and consumed a large portion of diskspace.  The Cronjob was subsequently fixed, however due to the way in which the SQL DB works out of the box on Linux, the disk space cannot be reclaimed, this in turn has lead to automated backups failing.

To reclaim the disk space and allow the automated backups to complete successfully, I am required to delete all SQL DB’s on the server, uninstall SQL, then perform a SQL install and recover the DB’s (I am able to perform manual backups of the SQL DB’s).

All very simple on paper and should be completed within 30 minutes.

However, I’m going to plan for this not going according to plan, so please allow 3 hours of downtime with a website that doesn’t look all too nice, and maybe results in a timeout.

Rest assured, any outage will be due to my work, and I’ll be actively working on it!

I won’t give any times for when I’ll commence work, that will be dictated by the amount of homebrew consumed the day before!

Craig

Great news!

I tested the plan, it didn't work, however I did fail back to my 3 hour option that resulted in a server migration that has completed successfully!

So, here we are on the forum, on a freshly installed server, minus my disk space issue.  I've got 3 spare hours at the weekend now!

Craig