Who has the worst prison conditions?

deuces wild

More interesting would be who has the BEST prison conditions?

And are they justified?

Thos.

I wouldn't advocate going back a couple of centuries. However, televisions in cells, posh toilets etc should all be scrapped. Slopping out should be the order of the day. They should bring back hard labour or penal servitude for violent crimes, and ALL prisoners should work hard from dawn to dusk. A ten year sentence should mean JUST THAT. There is little point in giving a sentence then halving it later. There should be no remission. A prisoner would have to earn the right to get out at the END of his/her full sentence, with time ADDED for bad behaviour.

To answer the original question - British prisons must surely now have the worst conditions.

I have it on good authority from an informed source - who cannot be named for legal reasons - that prison conditions in the UK are steadily getting worse.

He cites the fact that the free TV's now provided can only receive terrestial TV thus depriving the prisoners of all the satellite channels. In addition, the meals are restricted to a choice of only 3 main courses and it is no longer possible to specifiy how well you want your steak cooked. The only redeeming factor is that the authorities have facilitated the supply of drugs which are now freely available - in exchange for a little snout.

To answer the original question - British prisons must surely now have the worst conditions.

I have it on good authority from an informed source - who cannot be named for legal reasons - that prison conditions in the UK are steadily getting worse.

He cites the fact that the free TV's now provided can only receive terrestial TV thus depriving the prisoners of all the satellite channels. In addition, the meals are restricted to a choice of only 3 main courses and it is no longer possible to specifiy how well you want your steak cooked. The only redeeming factor is that the authorities have facilitated the supply of drugs which are now freely available - in exchange for a little snout.

Like it :D

I wouldn't advocate going back a couple of centuries. However, televisions in cells, posh toilets etc should all be scrapped. Slopping out should be the order of the day.

I disagree with you on that andsome, I think it's perfectly reasonable that prisoners should have decent toilet facilities.

They should bring back hard labour or penal servitude for violent crimes, and ALL prisoners should work hard from dawn to dusk.

Yes, and personally I think abolishing the death penalty was a big mistake.

A ten year sentence should mean JUST THAT. There is little point in giving a sentence then halving it later. There should be no remission. A prisoner would have to earn the right to get out at the END of his/her full sentence, with time ADDED for bad behaviour.

Absolutely... sentencing at the moment is just ridiculous.

I do not believe in "slopping out" and I do not believe in the death penalty.

However, I do believe that prison conditions should be severe and that sentences should be served in full. It follows that we should accept that more prisons should be built and staffed with all the consequent expense.

Thos.

QUOTE from Expertec Yes, and personally I think abolishing the death penalty was a big mistake.

The problem with this is that once someone has been executed it is too late to rectify things if new evidence proves that there was a mistake in the original verdict. If a person has been locked up however, He/She can always be released, and some form of compensation paid. this may not make up fully for the lost years, but at least it can go someway toward helping matters.

Like you andsome. I have strong feelings about the death penalty.

I believe that anyone who has committed a heinous crime (child murder, armed murder etc) should be given the opportunity of paying back to society in a tangible way - such as being used for medical research. It would give us the opportunity of perfecting such difficult operations as a hemorrhoid transplant and expedite the development of drugs.

This would get the animal rights people off our backs.

from Expertec Yes, and personally I think abolishing the death penalty was a big mistake

To many miscarrages have been made in the courts for the Death penalty to be justified. Once youe've hanged someone it's too late to 'say sorry we made a mistake'

from Expertec Yes, and personally I think abolishing the death penalty was a big mistake
To many miscarrages have been made in the courts for the Death penalty to be justified. Once youe've hanged someone it's too late to 'say sorry we made a mistake'

yes ! and to many killers have been let out only to murder again.

and quite a few that have supposedly been pardoned have only got off

on a technicality.

I guess one can say that it is better to release 100 guilty persons than execute one who is not guilty of the crime.

Most cases are stone cold obvious and supported with DNA and other scientific evidence, as well as the testimony from witnesses and experts.

Without absolute evidence yet finding the person guilty I don't think that the death penalty should be enforced.........in the U.S. it is normally ultimately at the discretion of the judge hearing the case.

The death penalty also takes decades to see to the end, during which time appeals are heard and additional evidence considered.

The intent of this thread was to show that the prisoners at Guantanomo Bay (cool ocean breezes, meals better than the US troops in Iraq see, a copy of the Koran, kneeling pads, a directional arrow in each cell pointing toward Mecca, conditions better than they ever saw at home) are treated far more civilized than prisoners in France or 3rd world counties.

http://cryptome.org/gitmo5/gitmo-052205.htm

Prisoner abuses indeed occured at this prison and the guilty parties were brought to justice. Realizing those injustices and disciplinary actions taken this prison now seems like a Caribbean vacaction. ;)

One of the big injustices (in the the truest sense) is that the occupants in Guantanamo Bay are being held for very long periods without trial, with no date for a trial being forthcoming. A number of the captives will be innocent - this has been shown by the release of some after foreign governmental protests (including the UK).

It is all very well making comparisons with third world countries but the USA claims to be "The Land of the Free" - implying some sort of justice and fair treatment for all - THE First World country. This prison camp on Cuba does little to support that claim.

One of the big injustices (in the the truest sense) is that the occupants in Guantanamo Bay are being held for very long periods without trial, with no date for a trial being forthcoming. A number of the captives will be innocent - this has been shown by the release of some after foreign governmental protests (including the UK).

It is all very well making comparisons with third world countries but the USA claims to be "The Land of the Free" - implying some sort of justice and fair treatment for all - THE First World country. This prison camp on Cuba does little to support that claim.

I agree 100% with this comment. To call the US the land of the free is pretty rich. It is only in the last few days that Rosa Parks has died. Her protests started in the fifties, and it still took MANY years for America's black people to get ANY sort of real freedom. There is still rife discrimination even now. Land of the free, don't make me laugh. ROSA R.I.P.