Do you believe in God?

andsome

DW, you made this claim in my other thread. There is only one God. Different religions

call Him various names,. So how do you explain that on the one hand, God advises Dubya on foreign policy for the US, and actually instructed him to invade another country, and on the other hand he instructs fanatical fundamentalist Muslims to attack Westerners. How can you reconcile these two opposites of the one God?

PLEASE leave out the rights and wrongs of the war in Iraq and stick to this particular argument

didn't you know god plays age of empire on a grand scale :D

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said, Ansome, as usual.

My Two Cents: I believe that the main cause of strife on this planet, especially that conflict that concerns arguments about "religion," and of whose belief system is "correct," derives in the main from the inability of so many to refrain from minding the business of others.

In other words, why is it so important to some people WHAT other folks may believe, and why can't they just focus their efforts and energy on what THEY ought to be doing?

It is revolting and baffling that so simple a concept is ignored.

On a lighter note, my aunt, a Carmelite nun wannabe (who flunked the nunnery), and who was a true schizophrenic (that among other mental maladies) once confided to me that she had seen Jesus in our walk-in closet the night before. He didn't advise her to invade any countries or attack any one person, however He apparently advised her in some capacity, since she was fond of absconding with long-haul truck drivers, with whom she partied heavily (and amnesiacally, she claimed) and generally behaved promiscuously. Hmmmmmm, come to think of it, there are quite a number of similarities between Geo. Shrub and my dear old auntie, though she was far better educated.

Nothing a round of electroshock therapy couldn't shake off !!!

Well DW. You are not generally stumped for words, so what has gone wrong? You obviously have NO answer to my question as to conflicting advice to Dubya a fundamentalist Christian, to invade a Muslim country, and on the other hand to advise Fundamentalist Muslims to attack Westerners. Maybe your God just likes to cause mayhem???

In other words, why is it so important to some people WHAT other folks may believe, and why can't they just focus their efforts and energy on what THEY ought to be doing?

It is revolting and baffling that so simple a concept is ignored.

Yep!

Thos.

I have just been assailed by another fasinating thought. If god has encouraged/told the religious fanatics to suicide bomb the West, then should not all true believers in god roll over and accept it as "His will", instead of trying to lock up, or shoot, suicide bombers???

I have just been assailed by another fasinating thought. If god has encouraged/told the religious fanatics to suicide bomb the West, then should not all true believers in god roll over and accept it as "His will", instead of trying to lock up, or shoot, suicide bombers???

Like it :D

It is revolting and baffling that so simple a concept is ignored. (quote prctr)

I totally agree with this.

We are all free to believe - or not - what we like. As long as we live the best decent life we can, what does it matter................

It is revolting and baffling that so simple a concept is ignored. (quote prctr)

I totally agree with this.

We are all free to believe - or not - what we like. As long as we live the best decent life we can, what does it matter................

I agree, but the problem is that religious zealots do not believe in this. They want to foist their point of view on others and adapt countries laws etc to suit. This is half the problem in Northern Ireland. The Protestants do not want the Church of Rome to decide on the countries policies. Dubya would not allow women abortions in the US, because he personally does not believe in allowing it. Wherever religion rears it's ugly head, trouble follows.

There must be a God cos.......

St Peter was sat at the Pearly Gates one evening when 40 gypsies turned up in caravans demanding to be let in, St Peter said we cant possibly take 40 of you to which the head gypsy replied, well go upstairs and ask the boss.

So up went Peter to God and told him about the 40 gypsies, God replied tell them we will take 20, and no more.

Peter went back to the gypsies and returned two minutes later saying they had gone,

What ? replied God all 40

No said Peter " The ****ing Gates !"

I agree, but the problem is that religious zealots do not believe in this. They want to foist their point of view on others and adapt countries laws etc to suit. This is half the problem in Northern Ireland. The Protestants do not want the Church of Rome to decide on the countries policies. Dubya would not allow women abortions in the US, because he personally does not believe in allowing it. Wherever religion rears it's ugly head, trouble follows.

But does it help to rant on and on about it. The zealots will do what they will - whatever!

God???!!!! Are you kidding?

There can only be one truth, how can there be a second? Ergo, how can we be, and 'god' be summat else?! As the ancients of India put it: Tat Twam Asi (That Thou Art).

Or ...

To be is to do -- Descartes

To do is to be -- Sartre

Do be do be dee -- Frank Sinatra

:vibrate:

I have to say that I do not believe in god. I am only 15 nearly 16 and so u guys may not give a shoot but hey what can ya do.

Why if you do a few bad things do you get tortured for the rest of eternity?

If something good happens its gods work if something bad happens god moves in mysterious ways?

I have plenty more i just dont want to waste a few hours writing them :)

Artist has a good point, makes you wonder who the zealot is.

The whole point is that this is a debating forum. This is a topic to debate. No one is forced to join in. I think that it has been a very interesting debate. I was asked by DW if I believed in God, so I started this thread to avoid another going too far off track. Does your comment mean that everyone who has an opinion and tries to put it across in a debate is a zealot, and is ranting? :D