Another System Information Utility

nellie2

And this one is exciting

It's free, you don't need to install it... it runs directly from the exe so you can carry it about on your usb pen drive too.

It "displays detailed specs for motherboard, BIOS, CPU, devices, memory, video, disk drives, ports, printers, operating system, installed programs, processes, services, serial numbers (CD keys), users, open files, system uptime, network, network shares, as well as real-time monitors for CPU, memory, page file usage and network traffic. It also displays currently active network connections, passwords hidden behind asterisks, installed codecs.... I think that little lot will keep you going for now.

System Information for Windows by Gabriel Topala

If you still have it you can still use it.

Yes of course you can, but as it is no longer being updated, any new technologies won't be detected like for example the new AMD M2 processor sockets that are currently in development.

True, but I don't expect to be buying for the time being.

Great tool! But I'm a bit troubled by the Regional Information I find here:

Country/Region

- Country Name (Native).. - Japan

- Country Name (English). - United States

- Country Name (ISO 3116) - USA

- Country Code........... - 81

Currency

- Currency Name (Native).... - US Dollar

- Currency Name (English)... - US Dollar

- Currency Symbol (Native).. - ¥

- Currency Symbol (ISO 4217) - USD

- Currency Format........... - ¥123,456,789.

- Negative Currency Format.. - -¥123,456,789.

Miscellaneous

- Calendar Type..... - Gregorian - Localized

- Default Paper Size - US Letter

- Measurement System - Metric

These things are clearly wrong, but I don't know where to change them. (I was able to change the green highlighted items in the registry, but I cannot find any others).

Ideas, anyone...?

I like this utility as it is so detailed like for example it even gives you the registry size :0

It's current size is 4 Mb and I also see that a maximum size of 119 Mb is mentioned, so perhaps XP has an upper limit to how large the registry can get?

I can't imagine anyone's registry getting as large as 119 Mb :blink:

post-2412-1138220366_thumb.jpg

I also notice that this clever utility also shows how much virtual memory (SwapFile) is in use and at the time I posted it was 61 Mb.

I have set my pagefile settings to 'System managed file size' and I have noticed that XP has allocated the same amount of hard drive space as my physical memory i.e. 1536 Mb.

Also I notice that the swapfile is used despite me having 1.5 Gb of RAM, so I can now see that it is wrong to disable the pagefile no matter how much RAM you have as for some reason XP still needs virtual memory albeit a very small amount as shown in my example.

• 1 month later...