SUPERAntispyware

andsome

I have been very disappointed in Adaware lately; all it seems to find are registry items with a TAC value. I have also uninstalled Spyware defense due to lack of updates. Following a link from someone on the forum I have installed SUPERAntispyware, available from the link below. I have only installed the free version, but a pro version is also available. It is extremely easy to set up. When scanning it makes VERY little difference to the speed of the computer. I have checked it out against my other malware programs and it seems to find everything that they find. Items found, are not directly deleted, but put into a quarantine folder just in case of future problems. I usually store up to four of these quarantined logs and delete the fifth one, as by then I know that it is safe to do so. Home page protection is available in the free version, and the pro version also has real time protection available. Also available in the pro version is automatic update. I update my free version as and when I want to manually, and updates are regularly available. All in all I am extremely pleased with this program, and heartily recommend it.

SUPERAntispyware available here

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for that information! May I ask a few questions:
  • How often does it update its definitions? Very regularly
  • Does it automatically update? In pro version.
  • Does it allow for scheduled scans? In pro version.

Can I assuming safely that it does not make any horrible grinding noises while scanning :P No noises whatsoever.

I would recommend that you have a look at the free version for a few days. If you decide to buy, you can apply a licence key to the frre version, there is no need to do a fresh install.

I downloaded this program.

I ran scans with SpyBot S&D, Ad-Aware, A squared and Ewido. Only Ad-aware found anything (a couple of minor items which I let it delete.)

I then scanned with SUPERSpyware. It found four items in the registry and twenty one items in files, including a trojan. I let it clean them and ran the scan again. It gave me then the all clear.

I'm impressed! :)

...found no problems so will wait and see

Adaware found no problems

SpyBot found no problems

Ewido found no problems

SuperAntispyware found no problems

as r4 says: will wait and see

(I too have removed SpyDefense :) )

sas4tg.gif

But it took 55 minutes (full scan on C: drive) - that's rather long! (But then I don't know how long Ewido or Windows Defender take, as I run them scheduled when I'm asleep).

I like the fact that it lets me disable the systray icon.

Updates are done every 8 hours by default.

[edit] Ah, I forgot about the IMG tag problem...

post-1524-1148357313_thumb.gif

I'm keeping it but not at the expense of everything else.

I've chucked SpyDefense, I'm unimpressed with Ad-Aware now so I'm not going to be using it (not chucking it out yet, though). A-squared and Ewido I'll keep as they seem quite thorough and I think the three together make a good combination.

I have SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard but are these doing anything these days?

Spybot found nothing.

A2 Squared found 4

adaware found 32

super found 51

These were nearly all tracking cookies.

Yea, but are we sure that these aren't just false positives? :unsure:

Seems like kind of a huge differance.!, ya know?? ;)

Spybot found nothing.

A2 Squared found 4

adaware found 32

super found 51

As far as I can see, the only company's that would cause you to receive false positives, are those that after a scan demand that you pay before the spyware can be removed. I have been running this program for several days, and it does not always find something. I am quite happy that there is NO reason to assume that what has been found is a false positive, there is nothing for the company to gain.

I have SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard but are these doing anything these days?

Spywareblaster is regularly updated, latest version is 3.5.1 Still the best preventative you can use. Spywareguard however hasn't been updated for ages, but it still stops browser hijackers, unwanted IE helpbars and searchpage changes, without hogging too many resources, so it seems worth keeping for now at least, unless one of the alternatives is duplicating this function.

Spybot found nothing.

A2 Squared found 4

adaware found 32

super found 51

As far as I can see, the only company's that would cause you to receive false positives, are those that after a scan demand that you pay before the spyware can be removed. I have been running this program for several days, and it does not always find something. I am quite happy that there is NO reason to assume that what has been found is a false positive, there is nothing for the company to gain.

Yea, I guess i can see what you mean., They wouldn't really have anything to gain..

Hey uh, I thought this thing didn't "automaticaly update" ?, It's driving my firewall crazy ..!

Ran the scan, didn't find anything. Thats good..!! :lol:

I downloaded, installed and ran Superantispyware yesterday. It found 13 suspect cookies which looked harmless but I deleted them anyway.

Last evening I rebooted my computer to find an error message that my firewall was not active. I tried to switch it on but got an error message. I then discovered that I could not load any programmes properly - some would partially load then freeze. I had to use tsk manager to unload the remnants. I rebooted the computer again hoping it would be OK but the same thing happened. Yet again - no firewall but this time a message saying my anti-virus was out of date (it wasn't).

I then tried System Restore to go back a couple of days - but like other programmes it refused to load properly.

After an hour or so trying various things I cut my losses and used Acronis to restore my C: drive back one week - after which all was back to normal.

This morning the computer booted OK. Being curious and a glutton for punishment, I decided to reinstall Superantispyware to see what would happen. This post is being made from my laptop because after rebooting the computer the same problems occurred and my desktop is currently running Acronis yet again to restore the C: drive. All should be back to normal in 1 hour 7 minutes.

PS

A tip for Acronis users - don't bin your corded mouse and rely on your wireless mouse working on a restore You will finish up driving over to a friend to borrow his old fashioned mouse.

Hence the guilty party is certainly the new programme which seems to have clashed with something on my computer - possibly the Telewest security suite called PC Guard which I use for anti-virus, spyware and trojans.

Needless to say - this is one programme I will NOT be reinstalling.

I've not experienced any problems with this program.

One thing it has done is removed some file associations for media files (e.g. I am asked now which program I want to use to view DVDs) but that's no hardship and it may be a coincidence as I've just installed WMP11 as well.

I downloaded it this morning, but being a bit cautious and having a full mornings tasks in front of me I thought I would not intall it until later and then there might be a bit more feedback on WF.

I have just deleted it. I do not need to go looking for problems, they come looking for me.

It seems as though many things these days are, quite naturally, tailored for XP, and if they fit 98SE well then OK, but if not... hard luck.