I have been studying flat screen TV's for some time now and finally decided take the plunge. Prices have fallen dramatically recently and I decided that now is the time. I realise that prices are likely to reduce in the future - but you will wait for ever if you take too much notice of that.

We now have a Toshibalan 42" LCD HD ready TV - which is sitting on a temporary table pending me finding or making a suitable TV stand and reorganising that corner of the room.

As you will see it has a nice steady colourful picture and is sure to prove breakdown proof. Not being able to afford a proper one - I made it out of hardboard and a few scraps of timber to show management how a TV that size would sit in the room and to work out what furniture we needed in the far corner of the room to complement it. I have to say that when she clapped eyes on it, the reception was brilliant.

After watching it for a couple of hours you really appreciate the high definition,the colourful picture it displays and the fact it it will never show Big Brother, Eastenders, Coronation Street or any other soap. Not only that - the sound is nice and muted. Hence we have decided to keep it.

I have yet to make a remote control for it - but will do that as soon as Management has polished off the rest of the corn flakes and I can have the empty box.

Let me know if you would like one and I will knock one up for you at cost price.

:P Love it but dont forget to turn off the standby before leaving the house or going to bed as this not only saves electricity but can save your life. Standby TVs are the cause of many fires say our firemen here in Oz.

In fact turn off everything - at the wall and be safe. :D

• 2 weeks later...

The sequel to the orginal posting is that management approved the size and location of a flat screen HD ready TV and I bought a Toshiba 42" LCD one.

I didn't like any of the chrome and glass TV stands available - so made one using veneered contiboard.

I am no carpenter and it took me ages to make - but I am pleased with the result. I am also delighted with the TV and would recommend this model for both performance and outstanding value for money.

I just wish the programmes would do justice to the technology.

The sequel to the orginal posting is that management approved the size and location of a flat screen HD ready TV and I bought a Toshiba 42" LCD one.

I didn't like any of the chrome and glass TV stands available - so made one using veneered contiboard.

I am no carpenter and it took me ages to make - but I am pleased with the result. I am also delighted with the TV and would recommend this model for both performance and outstanding value for money.

Very nice work. You certainly are a carpenter! :)

:P Love it but dont forget to turn off the standby before leaving the house or going to bed as this not only saves electricity but can save your life. Standby TVs are the cause of many fires say our firemen here in Oz.

In fact turn off everything - at the wall and be safe. :D

It is a condition of the Sky service that the box stays on and plugged into the phone line for updating purposes. Also it would be a pain having to re-program everything each time we used it if we switched everything off at the wall.

Looks very good. It certainly is better than the manufactured ones.

Looking good. :)

All you want now is some decent progs..... :rolleyes:

Do away with reality, soap opera and make over programmes and we would be well on the way to a big improvement.

Do away with reality, soap opera and make over programmes and we would be well on the way to a big improvement.

Why do away with them? You sound like the dictatorship you profess to despise. Millions like them. I am a Coronation St. fan and have watched it since day 1.

Sorry, AlanHo, your TV looks great. Toshibas generally look good and are very reliable. I anticipated getting a 32" screen but yours is 10" bigger (am I inviting a comment here?)

Thos.

.............yours is 10" bigger (am I inviting a comment here?)

Thos.

Only if Artist is awake this morning.

She's gone away.

Why do away with them? You sound like the dictatorship you profess to despise. Millions like them. I am a Coronation St. fan and have watched it since day 1.

Sorry, AlanHo, your TV looks great. Toshibas generally look good and are very reliable. I anticipated getting a 32" screen but yours is 10" bigger (am I inviting a comment here?)

Thos.

It's just that the time spent on them is out of all proportion. Some nights on ITV 1 there are three, one after the other. It's gone beyond a joke now, with the amount of TV time given over to soap, reality, make over etc etc.

It is a condition of the Sky service that the box stays on and plugged into the phone line for updating purposes.

Wrong, this is a condition for the first 12 months only and relates to the way that you used to have to ring Sky up to order Sky Box Office but now you can do this through the remote control so I'm not sure if it forms part of the 'terms and conditions' anymore?

After the first 12 months were up, I disconnected my telephone line from the digibox as I had just upgraded to broadband and it saved me having to filter the digibox so as not to interfere with the broadband signal.

Also it would be a pain having to re-program everything each time we used it if we switched everything off at the wall.

Actually the updates come down your satellite dish and this is why you should always keep the Sky digibox switched on and on stand-by except when your going to be away for a long time like on holiday for example.

Even when it is switched off it is stored on memory and the programmimg doesn't just disappear.

The only time that you can lose the programming is if you are in the middle of resetting the digibox and you suffer a power cut :0

We don't use filters for our BB, it is on cable and has nothing to do with the phone line. When I referred to switching everything off at the wall and having to set everything up again after switching on, I was referring to the radio, and the video recorder, the microwave, the cooker etc.

When I referred to switching everything off at the wall and having to set everything up again after switching on, I was referring to the radio, and the video recorder, the microwave, the cooker etc.

Point taken, I thought you were referring to the Sky digibox!

We don't use filters for our BB, it is on cable and has nothing to do with the phone line.

No I was referring to my set-up as I know you are on cable as I'm still using my phone line for my broadband service.

Unfortunately, I can't get cable in my area :(

The point that I was trying to make was that after 12 months, disconnecting my phone line from the digibox didn't get me in trouble with Sky ;)

I have my digibox conected to the phone line, as I have had since I first had Sky in the pre-digital days.

But I never thought to filter it, though I have filters on the other phones. I have had no trouble so far and can use the phone whilst on broadband.

Thos.

p.s. I thought the "always on" connection was to enable users to access the various offers such as ordering pizzas etc via the remote control.

Its the TV on standby that is the main cause of house fires in Australia, along with, down south anyway, clothes put too close to the wood fire or other fires to dry etc. Oh and electric blankets left plugged in and on all day.

Ovens are not on standby here anyway.

Not until the bloke gets up and starts peddling anyway as we have hydro power and it is a bit like that. Whip that man its peak time :lol:

Its not just the fire possibilities but also you can save a lot by not having that little red light on using power.

Dont know how much you pay for yours but ours goes up every Jan 1 by supposedly the inflation rate but it goes up when we do not have inflation anyway.

People with shacks down on the holiday beach wilderness areas complained to our power co as set amount prior to using was $80 a household. ( you dont get to own one unless you are upper middle class income)

so they took that off and doubled the first lot of power by unit cost then second a bit and so on - funny thing is that the more you use the cheaper it gets - which suits those with no worried about money but again, the less well off are subsidizing the better off. IMHO anyway.

I always thought user pays meant to save resources by making you pay more for using more.

Oh well, all this at same time as top rate of tax gets cut more often etc etc.

B)