The Best Of 2006

nellie2

I was checking out this article at the BBC and I got to wondering.... what is the best bit of kit or gadget that you managed to aquire in 2006 and why?

I suppose for me.. it's got to be my new build that I bought and put together in June this year. It's been smashing!

I would like one of those Wii game machines, but Santa didn't bring me one. :( Perhaps I'll get one for my birthday. :)

So, what was the best for you? Did you have a worst? :blink: Lets review our technological 2006 in this thread.

Worst - a succession of DVD recorders that worked once only. I had four altogether. I would set the programme, it would record it on to a DVD and that was it. Any attempt to make another recording met with failure. Same with three others.

My best (oddly) is finding my old (ancient, even) Snapscan Touch scanner in the attic which I gave up using when it was announced that Afga (the makers) were not going to offer any XP drivers. They did do XP drivers eventually but by that time, I'd bought a new scanner. Anyway, I dusted it off, searched out the drivers (here if you want them), loaded and found it works wonderfully. In fact, I'm now using it in preference to my Canon something or other model. OK, it's big and blocking but it's built like a tank and it's an amazingly good machine. I'm just worried now that its lamp will fail - it's one of those conventional filament tube lamps, not one of your modern tricolour LED arrays.

If you're looking for a Nintendo, nel, refer to my thread entitled "Ungrateful Toe-Rags" here.

Worst - a succession of DVD recorders that worked once only. I had four altogether. I would set the programme, it would record it on to a DVD and that was it. Any attempt to make another recording met with failure. Same with three others.

Were they the Tesco ones by any chance? We had similar experiences...

My best surely has to be my lovely laptop from Evesham. B) A quality piece of kit indeed... I'd be lost without it now... :rolleyes: (Which reminds me, I must do my backup...)

Best - Gigabyte Motherboards. After working with several of them and finding it so easy to use, and drivers so easy to download, and over all it was just a pleasure working with these motherboards. They come with plently of support and are quite inexpensive compared to some. Its my motherboard of choice for my next computer for sure.

Worst - Epson and Lexmark printers. I have had so much trouble with the Epson Stylus C60, that I eventually told the owner to chuck it out the window. He did, however, he got a new epson C67 (or something like that), which has so far been OK.

Best buy - an Epson Aculaser C1100 colour printer which is quite fast and produces excellent colour prints. Although not as good as photos printed on my trusty old Epson Stylus Photo 750 inkjet - photos from the laser on plain paper are excellent.

Next best - an HP 4850 scanner which is excellent. Its speed of scanning documents and transparencies and the accuracy of OCR conversion of text are a revelation compared with my trusty old Agfa Snapscan Touch scanner which finally gave up the ghost after a few years stirling service.

Worst experience - polluting my computer with various anti malware programmes that caught very little and slowed the computer down.

Best buy my Western Digital plug in hard drive, bought specially for use with Acronis backups. Also a new Epson Stylus Photo R 340 printer, the results are excellent. The worst was a series of Freeview boxes. The first one was from a local shop, and it was wrong in every way. I returned it next day. The next one was from Curry's and also had to be returned the day after that, the replacement is still running fine.

WORST (non computer related) is the fact that I have 5 bulging or herniated disks (for over 3 weeks now) and will most likely be facing surgery in January. :(

Sorry to hear that :(

Best of luck with your operation though which I'm sure will go alright :)

Thanks! After sleeping on the floor for 3 weeks I can now sleep on a bed and through the night. I see an orthopedic surgeon on Wednesday and the surgery is scheduled for January 16th.

I tried a chiropractor for 2 1/2 weeks with no luck. My MRI showed why.

Happy New Year to your and your family! :flowers:

Best of luck, DW.

If it isn't too impertinent, how do you go about paying for these things in the US. Do you pay regular insurance premiums, does an employer pay for health insurance, do you go around consultants seeking quotations?

Thos.

Best of luck, DW.

If it isn't too impertinent, how do you go about paying for these things in the US. Do you pay regular insurance premiums, does an employer pay for health insurance, do you go around consultants seeking quotations?

Thos.

Thanks Thos!

An insurance premium (health, dental, vision, life) is taken out of my paycheck. My employer kicks in about 50% of the cost. I get to decide the type and level of coverages I want. As long as a doctor is listed on the plans we can use them. I also put in the first $3,000 into the health plan through a health savings account (non taxable). It surely is a major expense and will get worse when I retire.

Our NHS leaves a lot to be desired these days, and has been to a large extent ruined by increased bureaucracy implemented by B'liar, but it is certainly a whole lot better that the personal costs to be borne on your side of the pond. Best of luck with the surgery.

Best of luck, DW.

Thos.

Thanks Thos!

An insurance premium (health, dental, vision, life) is taken out of my paycheck. My employer kicks in about 50% of the cost. I get to decide the type and level of coverages I want. As long as a doctor is listed on the plans we can use them. I also put in the first $3,000 into the health plan through a health savings account (non taxable). It surely is a major expense and will get worse when I retire.

Yes. It is a high cost item. Does a citizen have to take out further insurance against losing his/her job? And is there a scheme for the low-paid or even retired folk when sickness costs are likely to be even higher.

Thos.

Thos.