Tax ........

Government spending will reach £600bn in 2008. That's £10,000 for every man, woman and child in the UK – and twice as much as when Gordon Brown became Chancellor. If he had only raised public spending in line with inflation, he could have abolished income tax, corporation tax, capital gains tax and inheritance tax by now – leaving the taxpayer some £200bn better off. Something to think about, perhaps...

http://www.adamsmith.org/blog/tax-and-econ...y-200806021473/

Government spending will reach £600bn in 2008. That's £10,000 for every man, woman and child in the UK – and twice as much as when Gordon Brown became Chancellor.

That's a ridiculous amount and it is crippling working class families :(

This spending spree can't go on forever that's for sure as something will give but we probably will have 2 years to wait before a general election :(

If the economy was growing more than what it is then I doubt if it would help as Labour would only want to spend even more than they are already!

Even MP's are 'feeling the pinch'

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/poli...icle4040159.ece

The parliamentary panel reviewing MPs’ expenses has received a barrage of complaints that the allowance for using their cars on constituency duty is “ridiculous”.

How do the MP's think we feel when we have to fork out for petrol and diesel without an MP's allowance to help with the costs :censored:

Even MP's are 'feeling the pinch'

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/poli...icle4040159.ece

The parliamentary panel reviewing MPs’ expenses has received a barrage of complaints that the allowance for using their cars on constituency duty is “ridiculous”.

How do the MP's think we feel when we have to fork out for petrol and diesel without an MP's allowance to help with the costs :censored:

You have not recognised just how special and precious they are.

Ridiculous used to cost £20 for a full tank now its £30, they are using global warming as a excuse to put the duty fee up and now france is joining in!

I don't know what the budget deficit is in France but in the UK it's in a dire state due to government overspending in the good years and now that the economy is slowing down and the 'credit crunch' to contend with, Brown has to plug the multi-billion pound hole somehow and motorists are an easy target :(

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle4067613.ece

Pressure on the Chancellor was ratcheted up today as he faced a renewed warning that he is in imminent danger of breaking his own rules for the public finances, and that substantial tax rises or spending curbs will be needed in coming years to escape this fate.

With a sharp economic slowdown set to last well into next year, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) said that tax revenues would be hit, increasing stress on the Treasury’s books as government borrowing soars by £31 billion over the next two years compared with Alistair Darling’s plans.

I ain't some conspiracy theorist but i think, ever since he came to control, there's something we ain't being told...

But like always, we're never going to properly know. Which is a shame. It could really help us... :( lol

The things that we do know are enough to cause a revolution in some parts of the world. If only we had a modern Cromwell.

I ain't some conspiracy theorist but i think, ever since he came to control, there's something we ain't being told...

But like always, we're never going to properly know. Which is a shame. It could really help us... :( lol

The things that we do know are enough to cause a revolution in some parts of the world. If only we had a modern Cromwell.

IF ONLY. We could then also get rid of that dysfunctional family at Buck House, and let the National Trust take it over. We could also abolish all aristocratic titles, and everyone would be Mr, Mrs or Miss. :D

As this thread is about tax... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelne...line-taxes.html

Even the US is complaining about the government's taxes!

The Treasury's proposal, although cast as an environmental measure, appears in reality to constitute nothing more than a device for generating additional revenue from the airline community

As this thread is about tax... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelne...line-taxes.html

Even the US is complaining about the government's taxes!

The Treasury's proposal, although cast as an environmental measure, appears in reality to constitute nothing more than a device for generating additional revenue from the airline community

I like the letter from the US. It just makes one realise just how deep th hole is that Cyclops has dug for himself, what a desperate state he is in and what a total lack of understanding is hidden behind that sullen Neolithic face.

I like the letter from the US. It just makes one realise just how deep th hole is that Cyclops has dug for himself, what a desperate state he is in and what a total lack of understanding is hidden behind that sullen Neolithic face.

Yes Labour's 'tax and spend policy' is really causing the government some headaches now as no one wants to continue to throw money at the governments wasteful schemes and projects and who can blame them!

I mean look at all the recent u-turns on tax - non-dom, 10p tax, CGT and now the possible u-turn on both the 2p fuel duty rise in october this year and the increased car taxes coming into force fully in 2010

But it all conforms to the scriptures, as the son of the manse knows.

"From he that hath shall be taken away that which he hath, and from he who hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath not"

So why is the EU going to waste our money on starting disciplinary proceedings when it is nothing to do with them :unsure:

Also they can't really do anything (like fining the UK) as we are not in the Eurozone!

The UK cannot be fined as it is not in the eurozone, but the launch of proceedings is unlikely to reflect well on the UK government.

What amazes me is where all the money went over the last decade as we certainly don't have improved public services (which was a manifesto promise) and our standards of living have lessened due to the soaring cost of living and increasing tax burden :(

And now the EU are going to slap his wrist.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7447531.stm

Cut spending or raise taxes higher hmmm I wonder.

I reckon the government should cut spending and cut taxes to stimulate the economy but I'd be surprised if it did either as Labour must know that they haven't a chance of getting re-elected and so they will probably run the public finances into the ground for someone else to sort out - a so called 'scorched earth' policy!