Which Operating System are you currently using?

Irene

Which Operating System?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which are you using - you can choose more than one, if you have them

W7 on my main machine

W7 on a HP laptop

Vista on another HP laptop

XP on an old machine that I use for A/V work

+

Kindle Fire HD

I keenly installed W8 at launch. Removed it a couple of days later.

I am probably not what you would call a "normal" PC user and do have slightly more than the normal number of machines.

As some of you know, I build up/renovate upgrade old PCs for good causes as a hobby. I managed to place another 7 XP Home machines last week.

I also have another half dozen XP Home desktops in various states of assembly to eventually go to good homes..

Personally, within the household, in working order we have these :-

:)

Desktops :-

2 x Win7 HP 64 bit

1 x Vista Ultimate 32bit

1 x Vista Basic 32bit

2 x XP Pro

2 x XP Home

1 x PC Linux OS 2013.12 Mate 64bit

1 x Linux Mint 16 Petra Cinnamon 64bit

1 x Pinguy 12.04 LTS 32bit

Laptop/Netbook

2 x XP Home

3 of the XP Desktops are for lending to people while I am sorting out their own machines.

Although I dibble and dabble; my two main OSs are:
Slacko 5.6.0 Puppy Linux on Dell b120 (burned-out rescue)
Windows 7 on a nondecript desktop
(humble sole...lol)

I have several machines with various installs but they collect dust or are sold off.
There is an i7 laptop that I use sometimes if higher hardware becomes necessary (booting from whatever I wish :D
).

Main rig dual booting Linux Mint 16 Mate and Windows 7

My laptop running Windows 8.1

Wifes laptop running Windows 8.1

Alan, by the look of the results so far, you need to be our 'Windows 8 / 8.1' expert. cool-gum-smiley-emoticon.gif

Alan, by the look of the results so far, you need to be our 'Windows 8 / 8.1' expert. cool-gum-smiley-emoticon.gif

It is not the Windows 8.1 that is the problem, it is the new EUFI BIOS with the Windows embedded activation code that causes a lot of problems.

My main laptop used to run Vista, so when I was able to upgrade it for a modest outlay when they had a special offer on the OS it was a no brainer.

I have had very few problems with 8.1, mainly the problems have been with persons who have purchased pre-installed versions that are locked into all the Microsoft crap and require 50 different things running at start up.

Alan, by the look of the results so far, you need to be our 'Windows 8 / 8.1' expert.

It is not the Windows 8.1 that is the problem, it is the new EUFI BIOS with the Windows embedded activation code that causes a lot of problems.

My main laptop used to run Vista, so when I was able to upgrade it for a modest outlay when they had a special offer on the OS it was a no brainer.

I have had very few problems with 8.1, mainly the problems have been with persons who have purchased pre-installed versions that are locked into all the Microsoft crap and require 50 different things running at start up.

'Things running at start-up' were a problem with a recent member problem. Boris managed to dig out the problem. ;)

I am now retired from work - at long last! - so will no longer have the benefit of assisted software cost. :(

Now I am simply a 'poor' pensioner... :lol:

I am now retired from work - at long last! - so will no longer have the benefit of assisted software cost. :(

Would you like me to send you a food parcel with some Oatcakes and Lobby in it ? :rolleyes:

Would you like me to send you a food parcel with some Oatcakes and Lobby in it ? :rolleyes:
Now that would be good.

I do originate from the Potteries, so they both need to meet the spec, from my era - 50's, 60's.

...Mmmm makes my mouth water thinking about it.

I have had very few problems with 8.1, mainly the problems have been with persons who have purchased pre-installed versions ....

I second that: Windows 8.1 installed afresh seems to please customers to no end (as opposed to the OEM install purchased). I have it running on VMs and a couple laptops. I would prefer the OS on some touch-device, but wouldn't have one because I do not touch my PC screens. Maybe just old fashioned?

• 7 years later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use Ubuntu opreating system, i think it is one of the best. it has following features because of them i used it since 12 years.

• It supports the office suite called the LibreOffice.
  • The desktop version supports all the standard software on Windows such as Firefox, Chrome, VLC, etc.
  • It has an in-built software called Thunderbird that gives the user access to email like Exchange, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.
  • There are applications to manage videos, and it also allows users to share videos.
  • There are a lot of applications for users to view and edit photos.
  • It is quite easy to find content on Ubuntu with the smart searching facility.
  • The best feature is that it is a free operating system and is backed by a vast open source community.

• 2 weeks later...