Bodelwydden Castle

andsome

We went there last year. Unfortunately we were allocated a table with a carer and 3 mentally disturbed adults, who were very disruptive. We had to ask to be moved.

I know it sounds unkind - but we went there for a peaceful time and not to be having dinner with people who splattered food all over the place.

16 hours ago, andsome said:

Arrived yesterday for a five night stay. Weather dull but dry and very mild today. Dinner last night was excellent. Had my favourite breakfast this morning, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. :hi:

I used to live a short distance away in the Kinmel Manor Hotel.  It was during the 1970's.  :smile: 

23 hours ago, AlanHo said:

We went there last year. Unfortunately we were allocated a table with a carer and 3 mentally disturbed adults, who were very disruptive. We had to ask to be moved.

I know it sounds unkind - but we went there for a peaceful time and not to be having dinner with people who splattered food all over the place.

Not unkind ... just honest.

It can make you feel uncomfortable. When my brother worked at the nearby mental hospital and came home for visits he started flicking his own food about off his plate. I found that very disturbing and he had no legitimate excuse for doing it.

I thought it was last year we went to the castle - but it was Feb 7th this year.

The shows when we were there were poor and we used to sit in the bar area and be entertained by a really good male singer who was adept at mimicking a range of well known performers covering old crooners to some modern stuff.

Having said that, we went to Alvaston previously and the shows there were awful - but it was tinsel and turkey time.  I got totally fed up with a couple of coach loads of Mancunians who took over the dance floor all night - line or sequence dancing. To make matters worse they were refurbishing the hotel and we had to literally clamber through scaffolding to get to our room. Once there my wife found crumpled sheets on the bed that had not been ironed, the valance was covered in grime, the extractor in the bathroom was doing an impression of the botanical gardens and the wall tile grout was black with mould in patches. Furthermore the diners were nowt special. We complained at the time and changed rooms. Afterwards I wrote to Warners General Manager and exclosed photographs of their failings. They then gave us a complimentary stay at Holme Lacy in one of the best rooms which was fine.

We pay extra for a signature room,and have always been well pleased at Alvaston and have always been happy with the shows. Boddelwedden is fine this time except that the supporting acts have been poor. We had a first class main act on Tuesday,but the staff contributions have been poor,with no dancers at all. At Alvaston we have alwayks had several dancers both male and female with superb performances.