Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Amby19

Win 10 CHKDSK works incompatibly with Win 7 CHKDSK?

This is extremely aggravating and puzzling: I have both Windows 10 Pro (build 1703) and Windows 7 Pro (service pack 2 with the latest updates) installed on different NTFS disks/partitions on the same computer (actually, I have two computers with both installed). Here's the aggravating problem: If I first boot Windows 10 and then boot into Windows 7, I get "Disk needs to be checked for inconsistency" and runs CHKDSK on most, if not all, of my dozen disks & partitions. While doing so, it always finds numerous errors and repairs them. When all those CHKDSKs are finally done (after at least 15 minutes) it usually automatically reboots and again I get lots of "inconsistency" errors and CHKDSK runs (not all of which find anything wrong). If I keep rebooting Win 7 without ever booting Win 10, eventually it boots cleanly without any "inconsistency" errors or CHKDSKs.

But after Windows 7 boots without any CHKDSK problems, if I then boot into Windows 10, it produces a dozen "inconsistency" errors and CHKDSK runs and finds and corrects a great many NTFS errors! Eventually, as I described above regarding Windows 7, Windows 10 will boot without errors or CHKDSK runs. But if I then boot into Windows 7, the whole aggravating, absurd, annoying inconsistency errors and CHKDSK runs start all over again!

It seems to me that this means that Windows 7 CHKDSK is utterly incompatible with Windows 10 CHKDSK (at least for NTFS volumes)! AARG!

Is this a known and acknowledged problem? Or is this situation unique to me? Please help

I abandoned having multiple operating systems on one machine back in the days of Windows 3.1/NT/95. It caused untold problems then and it seems nothing has changed.

Why do you want to have multiple operating systems on one computer? What I suggest is to have the "C" drive installed on a removable caddy so that you can swap the O/S around as you desire. You could, of course, have Windows 7 on one of your machines and Windows 10 on the other. Either way, this would completely prevent the interference that you are experiencing.

• Like 1

Personally, I can’t see the point. Why would you need more than one operating system at a time?

Quite agree andsome. You can only use one OS at a time. I think it's about time the OP picked one and decides to stay with it. Either that or has different machines for different OS's. 

On 12/19/2017 at 2:45 AM, -pops- said:

Why do you want to have multiple operating systems on one computer? What I suggest is to have the "C" drive installed on a removable caddy so that you can swap the O/S around as you desire. You could, of course, have Windows 7 on one of your machines and Windows 10 on the other. Either way, this would completely prevent the interference that you are experiencing.

Thanks for your reply, -pops- !

Here's why I pretty much have to have Win 7 on the same, primarily Win 10, computer: Because Windows 10 sometimes (not often) gets messed up so bad it won't boot.  Since Microsoft decided to make getting into Windows 10 Safe Mode so annoyingly difficult, it's vastly easier to boot into Win 7 so that I can fix the problems on the Win 10 system partition instead.  Also, generally speaking, having two Windows OSes installed on the same system allows you to boot into the other one when such a problem occurs on one.

So why Win 7 and Win 10 as those two OSes? Well, licensing can occasionally be a problem. I have plenty of Win 7 Pro official licenses, for example, but fewer Win 10 Pro licenses. Also, the licensing terms of several of my expensive applications are such that I'm required to pay a fee for each Windows system partitions. And whereas I already have a license/seat for my Windows 7 system, it's cheaper to boot into Win 7 and run them there rather than buying another seat for Win 10.

By the way, I would never have tried dual booting like this without the extraordinarily great tool of Terabyte's BootIt Bare Metal boot manager!  It automatically ensures that whatever disk/partition you select to boot from, it is made to be Drive C.  Can you imagine dual booting without such a tool?  And it allows you to examine and edit each boot partition's BCD store far more easily and intuitively than any other alternative, especially Microsoft's!

But here's a curious fact: As I said in my OP, I have two computers set up for dual boot Win 7 / Win 10. Yet this terrible CHKDSK problem does NOT occur on the other computer!  And I have at least as many drives/partitions on that machine.  So we can't lay the blame on dual booting, at least not alone.  What's going on differently with the computer I'm posting about?

On 12/19/2017 at 7:55 AM, Boris said:

Loads of similar problems - see link

Click for details

................ for starters, try turning off  fast startup on Win 10 ?

Thanks for the info, Boris!

I've been using BootIt Bare Metal as my boot manager for years, and it's predecessors even longer.  When I set it up on any of my computers, after installing it, the first thing I see is a bold warning stating that if the user is running Windows 10, one MUST disable fast startup, both in the BIOS and in Win 10's settings.  So I've done that long ago, but it's important and valuable that you point this out to all Win 10 users.  Thanks!

On 12/19/2017 at 9:22 AM, andsome said:

Personally, I can’t see the point. Why would you need more than one operating system at a time?

Thanks for your reply and question. Please see my answer in my reply to -pops-, above.

It really does make sense, depending on the situation.

On 12/20/2017 at 9:47 AM, Gandalph said:

Quite agree andsome. You can only use one OS at a time. I think it's about time the OP picked one and decides to stay with it. Either that or has different machines for different OS's. 

Please see my reply to -pops-, Gandalph.

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the enormous number of people for whom using a dual-boot system is essential, or at least highly desired.  There are software developers that do brisk, profitable business selling boot managers.  Even Microsoft has made certain their operating systems provided dual or multiple boot capabilities.  You use MS's multi-boot manager every time you boot up, even if you only have a single Windows OS.

On 12/19/2017 at 7:45 AM, -pops- said:

I abandoned having multiple operating systems on one machine back in the days of Windows 3.1/NT/95. It caused untold problems then and it seems nothing has changed.

What I suggest is to have the "C" drive installed on a removable caddy so that you can swap the O/S around as you desire.

Yeah me too. Gave up playing with Dual Boot years ago. Far too much hassle.

If I want an alternative OS then I install it on a nice new fresh clean SSD and swap them over when required. Sorted.

I also am not into dual booting, particularly after trying it many moons ago with Linux, total cluster F. Ended up reformatting and loading Windows from scratch.

However just found this which may or may not be of some use.

Do I detect a thinly disguised advertisement in "extraordinarily great tool of Terabyte's BootIt Bare Metal boot manager" and "I've been using BootIt Bare Metal as my boot manager for years, and it's predecessors even longer."

1 hour ago, -pops- said:

Do I detect a thinly disguised advertisement in "extraordinarily great tool of Terabyte's BootIt Bare Metal boot manager" and "I've been using BootIt Bare Metal as my boot manager for years, and it's predecessors even longer."

I do not believe so -pops- ....... this member has been with us for 7 years and is only expressing his satisfaction with  BootIt Bare Metal (a powerful partition and boot management tool - which has been around since 2000 in its previous incarnation, and I think will run on just about any PC) and which is a well respected piece of software from TerraByte.

On 12/21/2017 at 6:30 PM, Amby19 said:

Please see my reply to -pops-, Gandalph.

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the enormous number of people for whom using a dual-boot system is essential, or at least highly desired.

Since virtual machines are available for free... I have never seen dual-, triple- or octa-booting as "essential" or "desirable".

Yeah... these guys and gals are most certainly unfamiliar with booting different OSes: The replies offered clearly show otherwise and are all great solutions to your "issue".

Edit: Sorry didn't realize this was buried already... just saw the jab and couldn't resist. :)