We're buying a replacement oven...

Irene

Our kitchen was upgraded at the beginning of 2008.  It is still in superb condition.

However...  within the fitting there is a Neff Combination oven and single large Fan oven.  

Due to my height - low - and a warming draw inserted at the bottom, I have rarely used the Combination, which is at the top.  The door of the combi pulls down, so I cannot safely reach into the oven.  

So...  I decided that we should replace the large one for another Neff which has what is called a 'Hide & Slide' door.  Plus, they now produce them with a steam option for cooking.  The new arrangement, will be to have the large oven & combination to exchange places, which hopefully will allow full use of the appliances.  The hide & slide door should give me safe access to the large oven.

My question is:  Does anyone have an oven with a steam option?  If so, what do you think of it.  

You are a lucky lady Irene - there are not that many hubbies who would be so thoughtful on their choice of gifts.

I bought Libby a lightweight hand held vacuum cleaner for Xmas to alleviate the need for her to hump the heavy upright cleaner up the stairs one-by-one to clean each tread. It will also be useful to clean out the Radley Leather Handbag I bought her as a second gift which cost 3 times as much as the vac. 

PS:

When we do bread or certain pastries in the oven - humidified by a large tray of water - it has a second benefit. Even with the extraction fan running in the kitchen all the windows get heavily laden with condensation. I quick suck with our Karcher window vac and they are spotless. It's a win-win.

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:25 AM, AlanHo said:

You are a lucky lady Irene - there are not that many hubbies who would be so thoughtful on their choice of gifts.

I bought Libby a lightweight hand held vacuum cleaner for Xmas to alleviate the need for her to hump the heavy upright cleaner up the stairs one-by-one to clean each tread. It will also be useful to clean out the Radley Leather Handbag I bought her as a second gift which cost 3 times as much as the vac. 

PS:

When we do bread or certain pastries in the oven - humidified by a large tray of water - it has a second benefit. Even with the extraction fan running in the kitchen all the windows get heavily laden with condensation. I quick suck with our Karcher window vac and they are spotless. It's a win-win.

Alan, I am certain that Libby will loan you the lightweight hand-held when it's your turn to do the stairs.  :wink: 

The steam oven option on the proposed replacement, unfortunately will not provide the condensation to clean the windows.  However, I do have my hubby who will solve that issue within his duties.  :1968795078: 

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Belatucadrus said:

Irene, have you had the replacement yet and if so what do you think of it ? I ask because it looks as if we're going to have to replace our venerable Indesit.

Not yet...

I'm still trying to decide on the best configuration - maybe will replace both ovens with updated models (including 'vario steam' element in the large one).  Assuming that both will have the Neff 'slide and hide' door, they can fit into the same configuration.  Hence no alteration required to the casing.

Our son and DIL have one of the ovens with the vario-steam option.  They think it's terrific!  :biggrin:

Wise decision by your Mum.  :good:

My emerging 'plan' yesterday of replacing both ovens with those which have slide & hide doors, was dashed because the smaller multifunction one which includes a microwave is not produced with the S&H door.  Presumably for safety reasons.  :sad: 

THIS is the one which I would like.  :smile:  

The one we have at the moment is getting a little temperamental and the fans are sounding rough so we decided to replace it before it gave up the ghost. A brand mum has no problems with add to that two offers knocking £105 off the price and half price installation, there didn't seem much reason to delay things. Sods law dictates if we had the existing oven would have dropped dead and all the offers would have expired so I obeyed instructions and did the deed. She did want a black one but they weren't discounted and stainless was deemed acceptable when she had a look at it in the shop.

I know she would like the Neff but that much wonga would have put a hole in the budget to get the last single glazed patio door replaced with double glazing in the spring.

Good way of looking at things, when I was considering buying the BMW I was havering, Did I really need the car, after all I had access to two family cars, it wasn't "A necessity", I could do without. Both mum and dad said go for it, you never know what's around the corner enjoy things when you can. So I did and everybody enjoyed the car particularly dad who took more photos of it than I did, seven months later pneumonia got him.

I could have made do and managed or even purchased something run of the mill as transport that would have just done the job, I remain very glad I didn't. 

Time waits for no man, or woman. Go for it.

52 minutes ago, Belatucadrus said:

Good way of looking at things, when I was considering buying the BMW I was havering, Did I really need the car, after all I had access to two family cars, it wasn't "A necessity", I could do without. Both mum and dad said go for it, you never know what's around the corner enjoy things when you can. So I did and everybody enjoyed the car particularly dad who took more photos of it than I did, seven months later pneumonia got him.

I could have made do and managed or even purchased something run of the mill as transport that would have just done the job, I remain very glad I didn't. 

Time waits for no man, or woman. Go for it.

You can’t take it with you. We keep within our means, but as long as it doesn’t break the bank we go for it. I have just lashed out for a new night light for the Hall. It cost £16.99 delivered. We still have some cash left for food. :boy_cleanglasses:

19 minutes ago, Belatucadrus said:

Clearly a generational thing, modern approach seems to be bugger the bank balance and spend spend spend until the credit card company blows a fuse and sends in the bailiffs. 

We have never ever been in debt on credit cards. With the interest that they charge, it is sheer lunacy. We settle up for the full amount each month by direct debit 

1 hour ago, Belatucadrus said:

Clearly a generational thing, modern approach seems to be bugger the bank balance and spend spend spend until the credit card company blows a fuse and sends in the bailiffs. 

1 hour ago, andsome said:

We have never ever been in debt on credit cards. With the interest that they charge, it is sheer lunacy. We settle up for the full amount each month by direct debit 

I would never charge to a credit card if I didn't know for certain that I could clear the end of the month balance in full.  I use them for convenience not as a loan source.  You're right andsome, the interest rates are outrageous!

Over the years I've only incurred interest on late payment once, what pissed me off was the way the interest charges continued for several months after. I half started to moan about it then paused, they used to charge an annual fee for credit cards, mine is now free and over the rather too many years than I care to contemplate my contribution to their highly useful service has been nil, nada, zippo, bugger all, so I gritted my teeth and just made sure I was on time for all subsequent bills. 

Credit cards - and their undoubted convenience - could not be free if there was not enough people running up balances way beyond their means to clear them fully each month.  They are basically financed by the fees the shops pay for the turnover and the interest paid by the card owners.

Like the others here - we pay off our credit cards each month - mine took a hit of £4,300 this month paying for two holidays later this year. 

44 minutes ago, AlanHo said:

Credit yards - and their undoubted convenience - could not be free if there was not enough people running up balances way beyond their means to clear them fully each month.  They are basically financed by the fees the shops pay for the turnover and the interest paid by the card owners.

Like the others here - we pay off our credit cards each month - mine took a hit of £4,300 this month paying for two holidays later this year. 

I am expecting a big bill this month. We have paid for two holidays at Warner’s coming up later. We have also had two new fairly expensive mattresses. I have also booked for eight family members, ( including ourselves of course), for a weekend at a rather expensive hotel ,and paid in full, for our diamond wedding in October.