Feature update to Windows 10 version 1803 failures...

Irene

I should have entitled this thread as: 'Update Nightmare' !!

It's still not done.  I have spent the past two days on the task...  

Error codes galore; Roll back several times - twice when the installation etc. was 80% plus complete!; Screen freezes; Constant requests to uninstall 'Realtek PCIE Card Reader' - which I did, but still the update wouldn't proceed (I eventually found that it was a 'Generic Driver' for the card reader, which was installed in 2011).

I could go on and on!  :ranting:

I am going to seriously consider replacing the Windows PC with an Apple Mac.  

Is this the all-in-one machine ?

To date I've now updated 30+ machines to v1803 - not had a single problem with any (some as old as 2007 vintage).

My method is to use a flash drive that I've already downloaded the 32bit and 64bit ISO versions to, and then run the appropriate setup.exe from within Windows on the machine to be upgraded, having disconnected it from the web. That way you have more control over the process.

1 hour ago, Irene said:

I should have entitled this thread as: 'Update Nightmare' !!

I could go on and on!  :ranting:

I am going to seriously consider replacing the Windows PC with an Apple Mac.  

Can I suggest you first try  LINUX MINT, Irene? 

I replaced Windows a few years ago with LINUX.  I tried one or two of the available offerings and finally settled on MINT as being just right for a "novice" like me.

catgates suggestion may seem extreme but if all you want is a computer for internet, word processing and handling photos, Linux Mint is remarkably easy. I put it on a basic machine when my old XP machine went bottoms up. Originally I'd intended it as a stop gap measure but years down the line it's still doing everything I want.

I am having problems updating my Acer Aspire s13 intel core i5 laptop

• 2018-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4103727) - Error 0x80070002

It refuses to install and keeps asking me to restart the computer to finish installing it.

I am not alone - there are numerous posts on the web with similar complaints.  It installed fine on my desktop and Libby's Acer intel core i3 laptop but is refusing to install on my laptop. I have restored my laptop back to an Acronis January backup and downloaded several updates issued since then - which includes the unresponsive one - to no avail. I have also tried several "fixes" posted on other forums - but none have worked.  Hence I have given up and it must remain uninstalled

12 hours ago, AlanHo said:

• 2018-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4103727) - Error 0x80070002

Have you tried using THIS Alan?

22 hours ago, Boris said:

Is this the all-in-one machine ?

Yes Boris, it is.  Packard Bell - oneTwo M3871

Spec details here:

Installed RAM - 8GB

System type - 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 10 Home - version 1709

OS Build - 16299.431

22 hours ago, Boris said:

My method is to use a flash drive that I've already downloaded the 32bit and 64bit ISO versions

Where and how do I do that, Boris?

23 minutes ago, Irene said:

Have you tried using THIS Alan?

Thanks for the link Irene - but I have already tried that route. It took me to the Microsoft Update Catalogue and then offered 4 possible updates. One of them was for AMD machines so I downloaded the other 3 and tried to install them, one after the other. Each one didn't try to download - I got a message that said "This update does not apply to your computer" or words to that effect.

This was  when I gave up on the mission and will ignore the update until the next one comes along in the hope Microsoft have resolved the issue

6 hours ago, D4\/!d said:

How come you are on 1803?

Not that I want it.

I have just today 19/5 been auto-upgraded to "10 April 2018 Update" Version 10.0.17134.48

That is Version 1803 :smile:

On 5/19/2018 at 9:23 AM, AlanHo said:

It took me to the Microsoft Update Catalogue and then offered 4 possible updates. One of them was for AMD machines so I downloaded the other 3 and tried to install them, one after the other. Each one didn't try to download - I got a message that said "This update does not apply to your computer" or words to that effect.

Alan, this is the one you need :-

2018-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4103727)

on http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4103727

With the assistance of Boris, I am still working on my problems.  

I'll be back in action as soon as we solve my issues with the Win 10 Feature Update version 1803.

EDIT ........ AKA Windows 10 April 2018 Update - Boris  

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:54 PM, Boris said:

Boris.

Thanks for that - I was away in Devon until Monday and the apartment's WiFi was too slow to download it.

However - I have just downloaded and tried to install it - to be met by the message "This update does not apply to your computer".  This despite the fact that the Win 10 auto updater has downloaded and tried to install it previously.

During my recent Googling to find a solution I came upon references on other forums that the update is incompatible with some SSD's (my laptop has a 250 GB SSD) - also that your computer had to have the latest version of the BIOS. I have been onto the Acer support site and found a list of Acer computers that they have tested with the 1709 and 1803 updates. My laptop was not listed. I did however - flash the BIOS with the latest version 1.13 (Mine was version 1.05)

Hence the problem is either with the SSD or with the laptop itself for some unknown reason.

I am going to shrug and forget it. I only ever use the laptop when away from home and will have to use it carefully. Windows Defender and Malwarebytes are updating OK - so I should be OK.

Alan - have you tried clearing the Windows Update cache ?

Stop the Windows update service - Search “Services” in Cortana and open it with administrator privileges.

Find the service called Windows Update, and stop it using right-click.
Then in Windows Explorer go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\
Open up the folder called “Download” and delete everything in it.
Using "Services" as above - start the “Windows Update” service up again.
Then go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update and check for the updates again.

Boris - Thanks again - but I have already been down that route 3 or 4 times. I just tried it again - this time using the update file you linked to and it failed again as not applicable to my machine.

Last year I used the Crucial site looking for a 500 Gb SSD to upgrade the computer, but their checking tool told me that they don't supply an SSD for my computer.  I opened up the laptop which is ultra thin and quite light to discover that the SSD was a small PCB with some memory modules mounted on one side. It is about 25mm wide and 50 mm long and only about 3 or 4mm thick with connectors at one end. Perhaps it is what you refer to as M2 - I have never seen one before. 

I suspect that my problem is that Microsoft have not catered for this type of SSD in the recent updates - I hope they have been hit by a torrent of complaints from ultra-thin laptop owners and will do something about it.

1 hour ago, AlanHo said:

the SSD was a small PCB with some memory modules mounted on one side. It is about 25mm wide and 50 mm long and only about 3 or 4mm thick with connectors at one end. Perhaps it is what you refer to as M2 - I have never seen one before. 

Yes you have an M2 type.  If you use Speccy https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/download/standard it should give you the make/model of this SSD so we can investigate further ?

• Irene featured this topic
  • Irene unfeatured this topic