Have you......

HHave you smoked in the past but finally quit?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. HHave you smoked in the past but finally quit?

• yes
    • no

I smoked for 35 years and used Zyban myself and have not smoked now for 14 months.

In fact I do not even like to be in a smoke filled room any more.

It is amazing how much of a stink smoke causes, which when you are a smoker you do not notice.

Even with Zyban I still needed will power, but it was the best thing I ever did.

I stopped in 1983 after starting in 1965. I was on 60 a day and I just stopped. No chewing gum, Zyban or anything - they weren't around then anyway.

It wasn't easy but now, I just can't imagine smoking and I find it utterly repulsive. Don't get me wrong, though, I'm not one of the "born again" non-smokers. I respect everyone's right to kill themselves so long as they don't try to kill me at the same time.

I started while I was a kid at school. We used to buy a cigarette and a match for two old pennies from the local shop. We experimented with dried grass rolled in newspaper, and dried tea leaves in a clay pipe, and made ourselves feel quite sick. I smoked quite heavily until I had a very bad cold and chest infection, with a terrible cough about twenty years ago, and coughed up flecks of blood. This scared me to death and I had NO trouble at all in packing up, and had no withdrawal symptoms. It's surprising what a little fear can do.

I do about 4 maybe 5 a day - sometimes less.

Stopped for 3 months last year (was on 3 or 4 a day)- cold turkey - no problems at all - then suddenly started feeling messed up - ended up a quivering wreck on prozac.

Plenty health problems and reasons why I should completely quit - but I can cope better with my adversities now I am back on having the odd puff at a fag :wacko: :blush:

The first week was easy for me as i was laid up in bed, in the hospital, there was no temptation, now i am home again we shall see how i handle it, but as i say, so far no problems, just the little cravings, untill something else pops into my mind, then i am ok again, i find it harder to deal with at night when the rest of the family has gone to bed, then i am on my own.

Tony

Yet again post deleted no mod warning or anything not even braking rules. No pm to say it was deleted. Come on guys grow a spine. I think i deserve at least a bit of warning considering :angry:

Must have been a mistake

Yet again post deleted no mod warning or anything not even braking rules.  No pm to say it was deleted.  Come on guys grow a spine.  I think i deserve at least a bit of warning considering :angry:

???

When posts are deleted they go into a file that mods and admin can access in case there is a need to re-instate them. I can't see anything from you in there, Besty.

Heard a report on the radio today, which will provide a sobering thought for you who still smoke. In the last 50 years there have been at least 6,300,000 deaths in the UK, as a direct result of smoking related illnesses. That is 126,000 per annum, or 345 per day. This is in addition to all the suffering incurred whilst people are in the terminal stages of the disease. Just think what is going on inside the lungs. Think about all that gungy tar gradually closing down the fine airways. Think about the suffering of the families who are left behind. Think about the problems cause by those forced to breath your second hand smoke. Imagine that in that time a city the size of London has had it's whole population wiped out. Think about it and pack up the habit TODAY. Here is a link to the same article in a newspaper.PACK IN NOW