Questions for everyone

Redhat

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes you can dual boot XP & Linux but if you only have one hard drive you would be better trying out a live CD/DVD as when I first tried to dual boot on one hard drive I wiped Windows out twice

That's what I am afraid of :o

I do make regular backups but I would be unsure if I would be able to get my Drive Image 7 backup working again if the Linux installation messed up.

Like Alan says, try it with a live CD... experience it without any risk to your existing setup. :)

I like the sound of this but I would like to learn a bit more before taking the plunge.

Any links or general info that I should be aware of?

I like the sound of this but I would like to learn a bit more before taking the plunge.

Any links or general info that I should be aware of?

Running from the live CD is generally slower than if the OS is installed, but this is because it is only running in RAM.

ADSL modems did have problems with linux support, but the support for these is increasing slowly.

Article on Mepis with several links to other live linux cds

We would suggest that new users take it easy and explore the interface, the menu's and so on, safe in the knowledge that if you don't like the system, you can simply reboot the machine and go back to whatever OS you are using.

Thanks mark2, one thing that I am pleased about is that I should be able to run it comfortably as according to the article:

One caveat before we begin. Using a Live CD is a RAM intensive operation. Since the entire OS runs off the RAM, the more RAM you have, the better. You should have at least 256 MB of RAM. Anything less would just be an exercise in frustration.

I have 1.5 Gb so it should run pretty smoothly then?

I can see me having a problem though as I have never burnt an ISO CD before which is what I must do according to the article:

The ISO image of the CD is freely available at www.mepis.org. Download it, and burn it using your favourite program. Remember to burn it as an image.

When I know how to do this I will definently give it a shot. Thanks again :)

If you have Nero, follow this.

Launch Nero.

Choose File, Burn Image and you'll be presented with a dialog box.

Click on the Files of type: dropdown box and select All Files (*.*).

Select the .ISO file you downloaded then press Open.

Next, Nero will show another dialog box of CD burning options. Accept the defaults:

Type of Image: Data Mode 1

Block size (Bytes): 2048

Image header (Bytes): 0

Image trailer (Bytes): 0)

Choose OK.

The Write CD dialog box should appear next.

Make sure Write, Finalize CD, and Disc-At-Once are checked, then choose Write.

Tips:

You must use the “Finalize CD” and “Disc-At-Once” option in Nero, or you will get the error: "FATAL ERROR: Installation

of side by side assemblies failed" during setup.

You must specify *.* for the file type to see the .ISO file.

If you do not have Nero go to this URL and download ISO recorder.

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

What is/was your biggest fear of trying Linux out?

At the beginning maybe the installation process... After the first two the fear was gone :D ...

Was it confirmed? How?

Oh yeah ! it was so confirmed ...

What could be implimented to make the experience more enjoyable/usable?

This one is simple ... 3D that works and hot-plug support (for cameras, and co)...And tv-tuners better support ....

As a peronal note I really hate this name ("Ubuntu") and ,just a little, i also hate Debian ... :D

korgg,

Re: Camera's etc..

Ubuntu automatically detects my camera when plugged in and asks me what to do. If you click import pictures, you can view the pictures and also (basically) edit them. You can then save to disk and open with other editing apps to further enhance the pictures.

Maybe this is an improvement over previous experiences you've had?

Thanks,

Matt

WINMODEMS!! AHHHHHHHHH

Was it confirmed? How?

Yes, I installed Linux, found out my modem was not supported, found drivers from http://www.linuxant.com that did not work. So, I set-up ICS on my Windows machine, and sent a cross-over ethernet cable down to hook up to the net.

Winmodem (softmodem) support? If Windows can do it, why can't Linux? (unless it is a copyright thing...)

What could be implemented to make the experience more enjoyable/usable?

And if it could come with ATI (or Nvidia) drivers somehow preinstalled it would be a huge step ... Mandriva comes in this way... These drivers gave me the biggest headaches since I use Linux ... ATI ones ...

Otherwise maybe a SAMBA configurator that works :) ... Stupid and simple for the dumb user ... I made one a few years ago that worked like a charm with users that never saw a Liunux box before ...

And regarding digital cameras I think there is a lot of work to be done... I shall try mine and see if it works (I can mount it as a disk drive) and works without a module loading ar even a restart ... Anyway almost every camera has an option to be seen as a disk drive so the module used (usb-storage I guess) should be very general .. And the big question: Firewire support for my iPod :D ...

The Dual Boot thingee as it was then.

Was it confirmed? How?

Nah, piece of fish.

Easier than I thought.

Provide enormous amounts of documentation [for different levels] on how to actually download a Linux distro and burn the ISO correctly to disk.

If I had a £1 for every thread on an incorrect burn of an ISO file i'll be a few grand richer.

Next and once again provide documentation on the different terms for hard drives......e.g. C: - hda etc...

Provide [visually - VMWARE?] an install process for dual booting, new PC, old PC etc so your viewers actually see what is going on, the fancy graphical installers might be great but if they get the user no where, then they're just eye candy.

DOCUMENTATION on how to install programs, nothing fancy, just a simple install will do....

Basically more and more documentation, use demos [flash?] to show how to do this [Macrmedia Captivate?] and that. Actually give the user a task that they can go onto to improve there skills :blink:

Things like drivers, supported hardware will hopefully come in time.

And the big question: Firewire support for my iPod :D ...

Ummm the basics first :lol: then the ipod gets in line.....

All this lot sounds so complicated and troublesome, I think I have made the right decision to stick with Windows. It suits me fine.

VMware Player

You can try it Andsome, no harm in that.

I'll be doing a screencast on vmware player, so you'll see it in action.

Would it muck up my Windoz

Was it confirmed? How?

Not really it made life easier

Loading of applications still is a bit of a bother but is getting easier in the newer issues.

As a positive feedback, a collegue just tried today an usb Bluetooth adapter wich worked like a charm... Almost plug and play ... (with a small change somewhere in a file )

In windows xp it took half an hour then he gave up :D ...

later edit: damn keyboard

Winmodem (softmodem) support? If Windows can do it, why can't Linux? (unless it is a copyright thing...)

The drivers are proprietary and thus can only be produced by the manufacturer. The drivers you see for some Winmodems are typically reverse-engineered, which is a process that's painful at best.

• 1 month later...

My biggest fear was not been able to login back into windows in case linux was not able to detect some hardware and/or properly modify MBR.

However I waited quite a while before adopting a linux distro that came without "live-mode".

But at the end I have never been fascinated by big OSs like SUSE or slackware.

That fear, however, never become real with a linux distro! Has happened that Windows was not able to properly write MBR, but never on linux.

Thanks guys!

Hey Redhat,

Congratulations on the Ubuntu stuff!

I think my fear was not knowing how to go about installing Linux, then not knowing how to add applications. Ubuntu's the easiest to use of the Linux's I've tried yet, but continuing to refine the installation process would be the greatest benefit to me. If I add an application, it should be as easy as installing an .exe in Windows. Also, there should be options included in the install process for adding menu items and desktop icons during installation.

Sincerely,

• 2 years later...