The "Dianna" syndrome

sapins

Ever since the death of Princess Dianna there seems to be this compulsion to publicly express grief, sorrow and/or sadness at the death of someone unknown personally to the person expressing these sentiments.

I suspect it was probably a florist or a card producer who came up with this idea, judging by the vast array tributes left at the "spot" where someone died or lived.

Why do people feel the need to "mourn" the passing of someone they never knew?

I could understand if they knew the someone personally, but to accept as fact the information gleaned from the media, especially newspapers and TV, that this or that person warrants this outpouring of grief seems to me to be well over the top.

This ritual also seems to me to be indicative of the UK today. On the one hand people are uncaring toward the living but over caring toward the dead.

The UK seems to be the only European country to indulge in this, on the continent the family and friends are left to mourn the deceased with a mention in the media if the person is well know to the public. There is no mass hysteria with all these public tributes.

I suppose there must be something missing from peoples lives that makes them act in this way. Still, it's a free society, for now, so they may choose as they wish.

I suppose there must be something missing from peoples lives that makes them act in this way. Still, it's a free society, for now, so they may choose as they wish.

It could well be that this is one, and maybe the only, area where there is no European Directive or PC edict. It is as yet untaxable, "green", physically undemanding, can be done singly or in groups, and could be developed into a "safe" sport. The downside is that it is slowly becoming habit forming, and thus will have to be controlled, like drugs, smoking or plain enjoyment. Probably by a suitably named tax, calculated by using the age of the deceased, their weight and waist size multiplied together and rounded up to a figure representing a large portion of the governments black hole at the time of death.

I agree with sapins here. The mass outpouring of grief since Diana does seem very strange and I would guess that there is something missing in the people's lives. Symptomatic of Britain today where the loss of communities has made some feel isolated and lonely. If they can be amongst a crowd showing sympathy to a well-known figure then they probably feel as if they 'belong' in some way :(

It is quite different from showing sympathy at the loss of anyone, whether you knew them or not, to this mass hysteria.

Also I find the present fashion here of leaving bunches of flowers at road accident spots disturbing. Why would you wish to mark the place of a fatality? It's not a grave. I would rather avoid that particular spot not draw attention to it in this morbid way.

I totally agree. I always think it's such a waste of money. If people are that well off maybe they should put the money in a charity box.

I think that if you are really in mourning it's a private thing on the whole. Just my opinion.

I agree with the principles of this topic, things get very much out of hand. However I see no harm in drawing the attention of people to the death of someone who is well known, and to make a comment as to the way they may have served the community, as I did yesterday regarding the death of Tony Banks. Regarding the mass hysteria that happened with Diana , the Queen Mother and others, this goes way over the top. I also cannot understand why the media have to intrude into a families private grief, seeking interviews. The same things happen after a murder trial or an inquest. It is MORBID to say the least.

I totally agree. I always think it's such a waste of money. If people are that well off maybe they should put the money in a charity box.

I think that if you are really in mourning it's a private thing on the whole. Just my opinion.

I am with you, artist, on this one.

Thos.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting - happening in Uk too eh.

We were only remarking the other day, following the death in a coach accident in Egypt of 6 Aussies, and the ceremonial car for each body and a service attended by Pollies and Police commissioner as they were on holiday police members, just to welcome their bodies home, funerals will be covered for TV and then memorial services.

This has dominated the news and current affairs programs for several days and will continue with TV broadcasts of their funerals and even a scene where friends of one of the deceased found 2 beer bottles at the accident scene, and said they would take them for memories of their dear departed friend.They had been drinking Egypian beer and had taken their bottles onto the coach.

That was a bit over the top for me, but media repeated it over and over again. Surely a private moment, but seems to me people just want their 15 mins on TV or am I cynical?

We have had some bad things happen just as you have in Uk with shootings in Scotland,bombings in London but to go on and on about them and then following them up a year later on the anniversary seem to be celebrating death.

Boxing Day was dominated by revisits to Acheh and the Tidal wave that decimated it a year ago.