Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Irene

Grey squirrels!

Irene    17

Any advice on how to keep grey squirrels out of the garden?

I do feed the birds on a daily basis and also realise that the 'vermin' are attracted by the goodies intended for the birds.  But... I do need to discourage the squirrels somehow.

Your help would be gratefully received.  :flowers:

Boris    29

1. Buy a Panthera tigris ?

2. Either you, or your beloved stay out in your garden night and day ?

3. A 12 bore ?

We have 2 x 200 year old oaks in the rear garden - at least 5 squirrels inhabit them.  The neighbourhood moggies (6-ish) regularly attempt to catch them but in vain as far as I am aware.

George Monbiot swears by this method (Martes martes)   :- https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jan/30/how-to-eradicate-grey-squirrels-without-firing-a-shot-pine-martens

Belatucadrus    17

Learn to love your squirrels, the little buggers are insanely good at problem solving and nothing short of an expensive weight sensitive feeder with a spring loaded close mechanism is going to stop them.

PS option 2 doesn't always work, we have about half a dozen regulars, some will run away when we go outside, but a couple will run up to you to see if you've got anything edible you might be willing to share. 

Irene    17

They can create a huge amount of damage if they gain access to lofts or garden buildings. 

We have previously had them digging into flower pots!   :ranting:

Belatucadrus    17

We've never had them in the loft space (Mice once or twice ) but no squirrels as to digging in the flower pots too true, generally seems to provide a nice food safe for them and they stash stuff there. This year we found one pot that had been well ripped up and dried compost strewn everywhere. We initially blamed the squirrels but it turned out pheasants were using it as a dust bath.

-pops-    24

We have loads of squirrels around here (and it seems a VERY good year for their breeding) but we don't get them in the garden very much. Someone told me once that they don't like privet and we have privet hedges around three sides. That may be the answer.

Kuznec    0

Strange you have gray squirrels, our squirrels go down almost to the head of passers-by and then sit on your shoulder and demand to give them food.