What are you having for dinner today?

Irene

Well the sun is shining so I'm taking mum out for lunch, not sure where this week probably the Mare and Colt.

They were a bit busy, not exactly heaving though then the girl says there's a half hour wait for food, so we left. Goodbye Mare & Colt hello HoltFleet and jolly good they were too. 

Fish chips and mushy peas real Gordon Blewey stuff.

1 hour ago, AlanHo said:

Is that the pub near Kidderminster on the A449?

That's the one.

I don't know if they've got staff problems, we used to go there and regularly got served by one of three staff. The last couple of times there have been no familiar faces and as I said first thing they told us today was there's a half hour wait for food. They need to buck their act up, there's plenty of competition in the area will happily take their clientele off them if they drop the ball.

It so happens that we were shopping in Morrisons today and I came upon some Fray Bentos steak and kidney pies in tins. I recalled they got a good mention on this forum a week or two ago - so out of curiosity I bought one.

We had it for dinner tonight with boiled Maris Pipers, a medley of veg and some extra beef gravy.

I was not impressed and in future I will be sticking with our home made ones. The worst part of the meal was my wife crowing that she warned me I wouldn't like it when I dropped it into the shopping basket.

Never mind - another lesson learned about commercial ready meals.

We buy loads of those Fray Bentos or The Princes brand equivalent pies especially when on offer at £1, we don't however eat any of them. They go in the local food bank collection box, I suppose we ought to try one just to share the experience but Mum is of a similar opinion to your better half and she's not much into meat pies of any description.

Talking of food banks, if you are of a mind to add things to the collection basket, remember that it is not only food which is acceptable.

Always appreciated are cleaning products (personal and kitchen/bathroom), toilet rolls and, often forgot about, feminine hygiene products.

I appreciate this is off topic but as the general food bank subject has been raised and it is approaching the season of goodwill and cheer, I thought it may be appropriate.