What are you having for dinner today?

Irene

Grilled trout today with samphire and Actifry roasted summer(!) vegetables. The vegetables are courgette, red pepper, green pepper, orange pepper, red onion, plenty of whole garlic cloves, cherry tomatoes.

Roast pork shoulder, sage and onion stuffing, sprouts, roast parsnips and roast potatoes.

Oh, I forgot, apple sauce.

An easy way of making apple sauce is to score into the skin of a Bramley apple around its equator, place in a dish and microwave for a couple of minutes until soft. Cool a little and the skin will come away easily. Spoon the flesh into the dish, removing the core. Mix with sugar to taste and that's it. If there are lumps, you haven't cooked the apple enough.

This only works well with Bramley apples.

Grilled real kippers and bread today. I cannot bear those nasty plasticky things sold as kipper fillets and which have never been near a smokehouse but rely on the products of a chemical factory for flavour (I know, I used to work for one).

Waitrose does nice kippers but we normally get them from a local smokery.

We are having Southern Fried Chicken with pasta in a tomato & basil sauce.

I am experimenting with the mix of spices and herbs. Tonight's mix is smelling good - but the proof is in the eating.

I only cook fired chicken when the sunflower seed oil in the fish fryer is approaching its last legs because it gets flavoured and I then dispose of it. I take all used cooking oil to the local Council tip where they have a large tank you pour it into.

Back to the sweet cure bacon chops covered with home made apple sauce, this time served with Iceland Cheesy potato pockets. peas and a fried egg. ( Don't normally have an egg with it but I felt like one so that's what got served. )

In this case the sauce protocol is simple Genuine Lea & Perrins Worcester sauce, cheap knock offs not permitted.

2 hours ago, AlanHo said:

What is the protocol for that meal - brown or tomato sauce, red or white wine?

Neither tomato or brown.  I often make leek sauce, but tonight we had beurre.  White wine is my preference.  :smile:

14 hours ago, AlanHo said:

I take all used cooking oil to the local Council tip where they have a large tank you pour it into.

The council most likely pass it on to be made into bio-diesel. Ever noticed the smell of fish and chips around buses these days? That's because they are using bio-diesel derived from waste cooking fat.

30 minutes ago, -pops- said:

The council most likely pass it on to be made into bio-diesel. Ever noticed the smell of fish and chips around buses these days? That's because they are using bio-diesel derived from waste cooking fat.

Ah - that explains why bus exhausts in Birmingham and Bradford smell of curry.

We had fish cakes this evening. I had mine coated with a bread-crumbed light batter and deep fried with McCains Home fries deep fried and Birds Eye frozen peas.

The ladies - who had returned from a slimming World weigh in - had their fish cakes pan fried in a low fat spray with salad. Libby was celebrating having been given a certificate for losing half a stone in 4 weeks. I yawned and started to worry about the danger of her needing a new load of clothes. She now weighs 70 Kg (but I didn't tell you that)

Continuing with the fishy week, today is going to be homemade fish pie - mixed fish in an onion and parsley sauce with a creamed potato topping. Served with "baby" carrots and sugar snap peas.