What are you having for dinner today?

Irene

The paté with truffles (mentioned the other day is on hold).

Today it is sausage balls in tomato sauce with fusilli.

Have I told you of my special (i.e quick and easy) tomato sauce for pasta? Here goes:

One tin of chopped tomatoes

One rounded teaspoon of onion powder

One level teaspoon garlic powder

One rounded teaspoon of sugar

Seasoning to suit

Mix all together and simmer gently to cook and thicken. I use this as the base sauce for almost all of our pasta dishes. Just add various accompaniments to suit.

It's quick, easy and cheap. I buy onion and garlic powder 250g at a time from eBay or Amazon. You can get them from supermarkets but at a cost!

It wasn't a senior moment. It was quite deliberate as I think this recipe is worth bearing in the forefront of one's mind as a standard tomato sauce - hence I placed it in the recipes section. The placement in the today's dinner section will no doubt see it slowly disappearing over the horizon into oblivion as the days move on.

Lamb chops yesterday and lamb chops today - we bought a pack of eight from Tesco.

Yesterday's chops were roasted and served with mash, green cabbage, gravy and mint jelly.

Today's will be roasted then cooked with Campbell's mushroom soup (undiluted, spiced with cloves and allspice) served with green beans and sauté potatoes.

Tuesday Dinner this week:

Slow cooked PORK SHOULDER with Hoisin Glaze (courtesy M&S :wink:);  Sainsbury's free range Fresh Egg NOODLESPAK CHOI pan-fried in butter;  SPROUTS par-boiled and halved (inspired by -pops-), then pan fried with the Pack Choi.   

Today is chicken barley. This is based on a Jewish dish and is a chicken stew with pearl barley.

I use:

1 large chicken leg (with bones and skin)

1 medium onion

1 carrot

1 parsnip

1 stick of celery

1 tablespoon pearl barley (or similar amount of supermarket "soup mix" which is split peas, lentils, haricots, pearl barley and other things which I can't bring to mind ATM)

1 litre chicken stock

Herbs and seasoning to suit.

Boil the chicken leg and the barley or soup mix in the stock until very well cooked (an hour or so). Skim the fat from the stock, add the chopped vegetables and cook until tender. Meanwhile, remove the meat from the chicken leg and chop into pieces to suit. Add the chicken to the vegetables, mix all together and check seasoning. I like having sage and bay leaves as the herb component. I like having it with crusty bread. Enough for two people.

5 hours ago, -pops- said:

Today is chicken barley. This is based on a Jewish dish and is a chicken stew with pearl barley.

Maybe because it takes me back to my childhood memories, but I love stews made with Pearl Barley.  

It's time I made one - I haven't done it for a while.  :wink:

I read this thread earlier this morning and started to think what I was going to have for dinner tonight. I'm still thinking. It might be Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney pie with some Curly Fries. I might chirp back in when I have decided. 

41 minutes ago, Gandalph said:

I read this thread earlier this morning and started to think what I was going to have for dinner tonight. I'm still thinking. It might be Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney pie with some Curly Fries. I might chirp back in when I have decided. 

You have taken me back in time to when Jack and I used take it in turn to supervise the whole factory on nights, week and week, about for about six months.

The canteen was open but there were no canteen staff. One had to be self sufficient. 

Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney pie was delicious at 2.00 a.m.

Fray Bentos ... haven't had one of those for years. Lovely pastry.

And I could easily eat a whole one on my own.

I remember as a kid mum used to cut one into six!

Must be true ... there was more austerity around then and everyone was skinny.

Garlic mussels in cider today - if they have mussels at the fishmonger. None available earlier in the week but were promised today.

I'll put the very simple but delicious recipe in the recipes section.

Tonight is steak, chips and peas. I like steak cooked bleu - one minute each side on a very hot dry griddle. I was shown how to check the correct temperature in France. First, take a small offcut from the steak and hold it on the hot griddle. If it sizzles and shows no sign of sticking the griddle is hot enough. This only works if you are dry grilling (no added fat or oil on the griddle or the steak).

The chips will be low-fat Actifry chips - goose fat constitutes the small amount of fat used as it gives a very good flavour and texture. The peas are fresh sugar snaps.

Not sure what the steak will be - not delivered yet. I will update when it appears.

Update: The steak is some nice 21-day sirloin, inch thick - just right!

3 hours ago, -pops- said:

Tonight is steak, chips and peas. I like steak cooked bleu - one minute each side on a very hot dry griddle. I was shown how to check the correct temperature in France. First, take a small offcut from the steak and hold it on the hot griddle. If it sizzles and shows no sign of sticking the griddle is hot enough. This only works if you are dry grilling (no added fat or oil on the griddle or the steak).

The chips will be low-fat Actifry chips - goose fat constitutes the small amount of fat used as it gives a very good flavour and texture. The peas are fresh sugar snaps.

Not sure what the steak will be - not delivered yet. I will update when it appears.

Update: The steak is some nice 21-day sirloin, inch thick - just right!

Sounds yummy.  :wink: