Tripe

-pops-

Does anyone eat tripe these days?

Someone described it as being like stewed woolly jumpers when I was young and, on the one occasion I tried it, that's just what was brought to mind.

Has anyone ever made it edible? (I'm not going to try it, just curious). The dog likes it though.

Not heavily into offal of any description, though according to this it's having a bit of a revival, partly due to Joe public being more adventurous food wise and perhaps due to the influx of Europeans who never lost the taste the way we did. Maybe they have more adventurous recipes than boiling it in milk with onions, a combination which has precisely zero appeal for me.

I remember having it as a child, therefore not had it for decades.  I always thought it had a horrible fatty paste on the linings. 

There were various different outer patterns.  Can't recall how my mother prepared it - don't think I want to!  

sick0020.GIF

When I was a young child (pre war) my mother's sister (who turned out to be my aunt) and her husband (who turned out to be my uncle) had a fish and chip shop. For some reason, quite unknown to me, they went into town (Bradford) shopping every Tuesday afternoon. They would then return to  our house for tea. They always brought a little trinket or toy for both me and my sister! They also always brought "something for tea".

Some times it was tripe! I did not know what it was but I knew I did not like it and many were the arguments ending in a bruised bum.

Fortunately it was ended by a man called Adolf!!

Ugh ... I just shuddered thinking back to days as a kid when mum served it just soaked in vinegar.

Come to think of it  ... just about everything got steeped in vinegar. I can remember soaked sliced cucumber and onion put between two rounds of bread for a cheap meal. I did like that though.

I've never ever had a pickled egg.

• 1 month later...