Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
-pops-

Tripe

Does anyone eat tripe these days?

Someone described it as being like stewed woolly jumpers when I was young and, on the one occasion I tried it, that's just what was brought to mind.

Has anyone ever made it edible? (I'm not going to try it, just curious). The dog likes it though.

Not heavily into offal of any description, though according to this it's having a bit of a revival, partly due to Joe public being more adventurous food wise and perhaps due to the influx of Europeans who never lost the taste the way we did. Maybe they have more adventurous recipes than boiling it in milk with onions, a combination which has precisely zero appeal for me.

I remember having it as a child, therefore not had it for decades.  I always thought it had a horrible fatty paste on the linings. 

There were various different outer patterns.  Can't recall how my mother prepared it - don't think I want to!  

sick0020.GIF

I'll qualify my offal comment, do like a bit of liver now and again and I'm also partial to kidney, used to love the pork chops with a bit of kidney on but you can't get them now.

Does anyone eat tripe these days?

I believe it is in short supply all around the country. This shortage is attributed to the amount talked in the Palace of Westminster,

52 minutes ago, Belatucadrus said:

I'll qualify my offal comment, do like a bit of liver now and again

......... with some fava beans and a nice chianti ?

2 minutes ago, Boris said:

with some fava beans and a nice chianti ?

No Clarice I'm on a health kick so it'll be Cranberry Raspberry juice.

PS Amarone is a better fit with liver, pity Jonathan Demme dumbed it down for the American audience.

When I was a young child (pre war) my mother's sister (who turned out to be my aunt) and her husband (who turned out to be my uncle) had a fish and chip shop. For some reason, quite unknown to me, they went into town (Bradford) shopping every Tuesday afternoon. They would then return to  our house for tea. They always brought a little trinket or toy for both me and my sister! They also always brought "something for tea".

Some times it was tripe! I did not know what it was but I knew I did not like it and many were the arguments ending in a bruised bum.

Fortunately it was ended by a man called Adolf!!

Ugh ... I just shuddered thinking back to days as a kid when mum served it just soaked in vinegar.

Come to think of it  ... just about everything got steeped in vinegar. I can remember soaked sliced cucumber and onion put between two rounds of bread for a cheap meal. I did like that though.

I've never ever had a pickled egg.