nellie2

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

UBCD4WIN

If windows won't boot, boot windows from CD and fix from there.

Not quite freeware, you need XP beforehand, and to do some work yourself.

I've found it useful for virus/spyware cleaning.

Power Defragmenter

Power Defragmenter is based on Sysinternals defragmentation "engine".

Basically its just a very advanced GUI for the Sysinternals core application which takes defragmentation process to a whole new level. Very high defragmentation speed, efficiency and ease of use.

XP or W2000 only, speedy? yup, defragged approx 3gb on 13gb partition in under a minute.

avast! External Control 1.6

avast! External Control (AEC) tool was designed to extend  avast! Antivirus functionality and security.

AEC gives you almost full control over avast! Home Edition or Professional Edition.

You can fully disable/enable and Auto-Restart avast!, change update and VRDB generation intervals, tweak many hidden settings and view detailed avast! Antivirus status

Exploring this one a little further

Power Defragmenter
Power Defragmenter is based on Sysinternals defragmentation "engine".

Basically its just a very advanced GUI for the Sysinternals core application which takes defragmentation process to a whole new level. Very high defragmentation speed, efficiency and ease of use.

XP or W2000 only, speedy? yup, defragged approx 3gb on 13gb partition in under a minute.

Just tried it myself on a 50% used 25gig partition. That is stonkingly quick performance for a standard defrag !

I use Raxco PerfectDisk normally and the speeds are very similar.

Raxco's "Smart Placement" facility just gives it the edge over PD - but "it ain't free" so this is well worth a try ! :D

TCP Doctor

TCP Doctor can drastically help your connection speed w/ dsl/cable. It can be found Here. I also suggest you use their online tweak tester to find out what number you should use, that can be found Here. What you will ultimately be doing is tweaking your TCP settings to speed up your connection speeds (if possible). Anyway, It has been a while since I used it (since you only realy need to tweak once), so check it out on the site.

Active Sync Toggle

Another program I absolutely love is the ActiveSync Toggle by Micrologics. It can be found Here. What it does is allows you to turn off the Active Sync process (the one used to sync any Pocket PC handhelds you may use) and turn it on only when you need it. Obviously this is only of use to you if you use ActiveSync, but if you do and you always wanted to be able to shut the thing off when you do not use it, this is the app for you.

• 4 weeks later...

Recently installed RegScrubXP and I am delighted with the results! I found dozens and dozens of download locations on the web, but I was curious where it actually came from. It came from here: http://www.lexundesigns.com/LexunFreeware/index.htm

There are a few other interesting freeware tools on that site, such as Lexun Backup Solution, Lexun DrvCareXP, and the Lexun Browser. Note: all require installation of Microsoft's .NET Framework v1.1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This program is technically freeware, so I will plug it here.

www.knoppix.com

Knoppix is a distro of linux that you download in .iso form and burn to a CD. After burning it, you can run linux on any computer as long as it boots from a CD. It is great for trying out linux or data recovery. It auto detects all network settings and dosen't write a thing to the hard drive. Its a great thing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

adia - gives a wealth of system information

avg - antivirus scanner/remover

cygwin - unix in windows

Edit pad lite - beats the pants off of notepad

ewido - trojan scanner

foobar - plays basically all audio formats, including og3

foxit reader - pdf reader

media player classic - plays just about every video format, no need to install

myUninstall - an improvment upon windows add/remove

slickrun - couldn't live with out this. Hit windows key + q (or any key you want) to activate, then type in the name of the program you wish to run. A few extra features, but that's about it. No more searching through shortcuts and start menus.

reverse connect - dc++

tiny res meter - monitors processor speed/usage, ram, pagefile, and every thing else you can think of

trayit - running trayit and holding ctrl while clicking minimize on any window will lower it into the taskbar

vti - virtual Ti, have a ti-83 or 89 on your computer

xplorer2 lite - beats the pants off of windows explorer

If anyone knows of a great hex editor, please let me know