Rip Off Great Britain

Tony

WOW i have just had a look at the Aldi Website ( which a link was given for one of there PC's in another tread) and they have on there a 5 pack of DVD R's for £ 5.99 ok the disks are ok and i have never had a problem with them, but over here in Germany i buy exactly the same disks from Aldi for € 3.59 which is roughly about £2.00, this just makes me think of "RIP OFF GREAT BRITAIN" :(

About 3 years ago i brought a play kitchen for my little girl from the German Toys r Us for 79 DM about £25 one month later i was in Toys R Us in London and saw the same Play Kitchin for £ 69.99

I thought that things were getting better, looks like i was wrong

What are all your feelings on this matter

Below is are pic's from there German & English websites

Tony

post-188-1101552812_thumb.jpg

post-188-1101552821_thumb.jpg

RIP OFF BRITAIN. I agree. We pay the highest road taxes in Europe, and the highest petrol tax. We already have one toll road, and are soon to have others. The minister of transport only yesterday said that we would probably have to start paying to drive on all motorways. We pay the highest drinks duty etc etc. I could go on but the forum would run out of space.

RIP OFF BRITAIN.  I agree.  We pay the highest road taxes in Europe, and the highest petrol tax.  We already have one toll road, and are soon to have others.  The minister of transport only yesterday said that we would probably have to start paying to drive on all motorways.  We pay the highest drinks duty etc etc.  I could go on but the forum would run out of space.

Why don't you move country then?

So... why are things more expensive here?  Is it VAT.. or what?

No Nellie the VAT is 16% here as against 17.5% in England so it does not make THAT much difference,

but suprise suprise England has a higher rate of vat.

And powerless i hope that your remark was not meant to be taken too seriously.

Tony

I agree with Tony here

Why is it that we pay more for goods here than most of Europe? Economy of scales? I think not! It has mainly to do with the fact that we seem to lay down and take it.

We look at prices and think "thats a good price", instead of looking around and finding "the bargain". If we had our heads screwed on correctly we would order goods from the common market and NOT from UK.

However, its a case of do we trust buying goods from abroad/Europe? Are we protected, from fraud? What happens when good do not arrive? Can we speak the same language?

There are pros and cons to buying abroad, but i have paid and bought for goods abroad and had no problems at all. Also i have paid for good goods in UK and had loads of problems

So its make your minds up time

Roll over and take it, or do something about it.

Well thats my rant.

So... why are things more expensive here?  Is it VAT.. or what?

No Nellie the VAT is 16% here as against 17.5% in England so it does not make THAT much difference,

but suprise suprise England has a higher rate of vat.

And powerless i hope that your remark was not meant to be taken too seriously.

Tony

Off course I did.

Dunno ..but they are catching up fast ...Spain is nowhere near as cheap as it used to be ..... most of the ex pats I spoke to blamed it all on the €

You are right, i thought that Britain was getting better, well not getting better Europe is getting worse. Since the EURO came out over here in Germany we have seen prices rise by quite a lot, i would say the cost of living has gone up by about 30%, this is a lot, but it is not on every thing, it is quite hard to explain a lot of items have also got cheaper eg.. computer equipment & electronic equipment have got a lot cheaper but this is due to the technology getting cheaper.

I just brought another DVD burner this week, it is an LG GSA-4160b which burns a 16x and also is double layer compatible this cost me € 89.00 about 50 quid a year ago i brought my first DVD burner which is an LG 4x burner this cost me € 120.00 so as you see things do get cheaper as well, the same is happening in Britain i guess.

I have also just ordered Need for Speed Underground 2 from Play.com which cost me €51.00 with free postage to Germany, now i can buy this game in a shop over here for €57.00.

Petrol over here is getting expensive, but when the oil price goes down so does the petrol price, unlike what i have seen in England it very rarely comes back down in price (well that's haw it used to be). example petrol goes up 5 pence a litre because of oil price rises, a week later the oil price goes down again enough to reduce the petrol by 5 pence a litre, but NO petrol will only get reduced by 1 or 2 pence if you are lucky.

OK here where i live in Germany the petrol guys have to be on there toes, cos if the price stays to high we will just cross the boarder to France or Switzerland to get the petrol, i realise that not everybody has that chance to just cross a boarder, but this does really keep the petrol guys on there toes or they loose a lot of sales.

This tread started cos i saw the same shop selling an item at different prices, in different country's, now i am guessing that Aldi is known as a cheap shop in England as it is known over here. So how much would 5 DVDr disks cost you from PC world are they a lot more expensive.

Internet shopping over here is a breeze and is big business, In Britain a lot more trust has to be gained, by the sellers and buyers before it will really take off in Britain, i have seen in Britain to buy anything from the Internet you have to have a credit card or debit card or Pay-Pal for Ebay now not every body has these, i only need my credit card to buy from international websites if i buy from German sites i either do a bank transfer or i get invoiced on delivery eg.. i brought this DVD burner on line from a shop called Arlt.com no payment was made, in the parcel that came was an invoice to pay for the goods how ever i wanted to pay for them, my choices were walk into the shop and pay them cash, bank transfer, or credit card, This is what i call trust, also what helps is that if i pay anything by bank transfer, i have 6 weeks to make my bank redeem the money, which can come in handy for ebay, if the goods don't arrive i have six weeks to get the money back no questions asked.

Anyway that is enough for now.

Tony

I totally agree with you, leaving the UK will not fix any of the problems,

I only left the country temporally because my company sent me abroad to work when i was 22 years old, and i have worked in quite a few of them before i settled in Germany, and the only reason i settled here is because this is where i met my wife and she is German,

I have thought about coming back to the UK many times, but it always seems to be the wrong time to make the move, what with the kids and school.

I am quite sure that if i had not met my wife here, i would have been back in the UK for the last 10 years or so.

No matter how long i have been away for and how long i will be away for, i have been and always will be proud to be British, it is where my heart is how ever bloody expensive it is :D

Tony

• 3 weeks later...
RIP OFF BRITAIN.  I agree.  We pay the highest road taxes in Europe, and the highest petrol tax.  We already have one toll road, and are soon to have others.  The minister of transport only yesterday said that we would probably have to start paying to drive on all motorways.  We pay the highest drinks duty etc etc.  I could go on but the forum would run out of space.

Wait wait wait - you have to buy a car, pay sales tax on that. Buy gasoline/petrol, pay a tax on that (and a hefty one too), pay city/state/local/federal taxes MAINLY FOR UPKEEP OF THE LOCALITY, *and* you have to pay to drive?

Thats screwed up - think I'd buy a plane.

Why don't you move country then?

Why on earth should I? I have paid tax in this country over the years amounting to thousands of pounds.