Microsoft Windows Service Pack 3

I had a look at what they advise you to uninstall before installing Service pack 3.

• Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit

• Remote Desktop Connection (RDP) 6.0 MUI pack (Update 925877 for Windows XP)

Looked on list add/remove - cant find so run Microsoft shared and got this a file called Protect > then S-1-5-18 then>user open that and zero. is this it?

Tried to run 925877 but cant get the right criteria as update for windows etc windows says not right description to find it etc.

I have notify but don't install so haven't installed yet.

I find this sort of thing a bit beyond me - help :D

Also being the Big Cheese - dont you think they could for us non geeks - get a uninstall tool to run before installing as this is easy for them and saves problems for us.

Don't worry, Lamb Chop, there are going to be an awful lot of people in a similar situation as you.

I am not downloading for a good long time - long enough for MS to sort out the almost inevitable further problems there will be with this.

I am not downloading for a good long time - long enough for MS to sort out the almost inevitable further problems there will be with this.

I'm with -pops- on this :)

Tried it again on my other XP Home PC last night using the standard Windows Update install and got this error :-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377/

I've since tried Method 1 and Method 2 as they suggest - but still no good :(

Did that come as a "Critical" or "Optional" update?

Also, do you know the build number of this service pack version?

Yep. Critical update; since it contains quite a few previous critical updates.

The build number I do not know, as I have not yet installed it. Every user of this forum knows to make a good backup before installing such software, of course its an even better idea to have a read over this topic before installing this product even though this through automatic updates.

http://forums.windowsforum.org/index.php?showtopic=36053

I downloaded it last night when the Updates Shield came up on the System Tray. I let it do it's own thing and it installed no problem. Everything running as well as ever with no problems to date.

Can I ask a silly question? If most of the updates we already have are included in this SP3 - why do we need it as we have them updates. Does it then replace them? If we do nothing - what happens? is it to make us all go update to Vista?

Just wondering being a complete novice :D

After making a new Acronis back up, I have just this minute finished the installation. Everything went very smoothly. The actual installation took a lot longer than the download. The restart was also very prolonged with several cmd windows appearing and disappearing. All seems fine so far. :D

Can I ask a silly question? If most of the updates we already have are included in this SP3 - why do we need it as we have them updates. Does it then replace them? If we do nothing - what happens?

A large lot of Windows modules/components have been rebuilt; the build number of the current release is 5512. This is much cleaner than hundreds of individual module replacements, and future updates may not be allowed if you don't have SP3 installed.

As I have mentioned in another place, Windows XP is noticeably faster than before; some people have actually measured it and published that it is 12% faster. :flowers:

After making a new Acronis back up, I have just this minute finished the installation. Everything went very smoothly. The actual installation took a lot longer than the download

It would do as it's only a small download (which takes next to no time on broadband) and the installation process is quite complex as the installation routine needs to make backups of existing files, etc, and this takes a fair amount of time!

I installed it on my main machine and no problems.

The test machine which had it installed a week ago, is no more, the motherboard died yesterday,

this was nothing to do with SP3, (the northbridge heatsink had detached itself), still it gives me a good excuse to upgrade it now.

I have been reading up on this and this was interesting to me anyway. Seeing as IE7 is a not only a no no on the old one but on this computer too. I use IE6 and it seems once you have SP3 you are forever stuck with the one you currently use :D

From Washington Post.

As the SANS Internet Storm centre notes, people who for whatever reason are still using Internet Explorer 6 will NOT be upgraded to IE7 after installing this service pack. However, if you already have IE7 on your system when you install Service Pack 3, you will not be able to migrate back to IE6

Lots more about it on this site.

http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=4387

Washington Post techs are advising ordinary users not to download it for a while until the gremlins which caused it not to be released a week ago are fixed as they have put in filters for now.

Means not a lot to me but may to you guys I will wait for Pops on this one as he is waiting too. :D

I have been reading up on this and this was interesting to me anyway. Seeing as IE7 is a not only a no no on the old one but on this computer too. I use IE6 and it seems once you have SP3 you are forever stuck with the one you currently use :D

That's not what the article says.

If you are an IE 6 user, SP3 will simply updated [sic] your IE 6 installation. You will continue to be able to upgrade to IE 7 as an option.

Anyway, since IE8 is just around the corner, why worry about IE7...? :lol:

That's not what the article says.

If you are an IE 6 user, SP3 will simply updated [sic] your IE 6 installation. You will continue to be able to upgrade to IE 7 as an option.

Anyway, since IE8 is just around the corner, why worry about IE7...? :lol:

OOps yes the quote is from Washington Post and this is from the Sans Internet storm centre

If you are an IE 6 user, SP3 will simply updated your IE 6 installation. You will continue to be able to upgrade to IE 7 as an option.

If you are an IE 7 user, it will update your IE 7 installation. HOWEVER, you will NOT be able to go back to IE 6 after applying this service back.

If you are an IE 8 (beta) user, you will need to uninstall IE 8, apply the service pack, and then reinstall IE 8.

:D I dont want IE7 and it hates this Dell Computer just as it hated my old Packard Bell one too. Not alone as many found same problem with it.

Hope IE8 is better have you tried the beta then?

After a careful back up I tried IE8 BETA, but it was causing slight problems, so I got rid of it. Microsoft support were very interested, but I told them that I wanted to wait for the official release. So far SP3 is running like a dream on my computer, complete with IE 7. :D