This Forum Needs New Members, Otherwise...........

deuces wild

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DW..Thanks for the comments - I share your views to a point.

However, this forum has, theoretically, more than 10.000 members and a slow dribble of new joiners. Most (if not all) new members, seem to make a posting or two then vanish into the ether never to be seen again. The result is that most postings on this forum seem to be made by just a handful of "old" old faithfuls - some adding just a smilie or two or a brief one liner to push up the score with little actual substance and an increasing tendency to wander way off topic. When I first joined the forum a few years back the forum was much more lively and members posted lots of new threads on a range of issues - some of which I will admit got a little out of hand and contentious, especially when political. However - it added spice and interest which is now lacking. Perhaps we have all become neutered by the PC brigade and are reluctant to express our real opinions.

It is true that (other then when I am away on holiday) I make daily postings - principally my "thought for today". However, these are getting more difficult to find and I am fast reaching the bottom of the barrel - hence the latest ones are rarely thought provoking and thus sponsor little interest. Some time ago I too felt that the forum had started to flag and started a thread about our virtual pub to try and inject interest. This worked for a month or two but is now hardly ever added to other than when I make a fresh post and get a couple of responses.

The other problem I see is that we are not as technically active as some other forums. We have only a few "experts" here to help with computer problems. They do a valiant and valuable job but I would have expected there to be more experts amongst 10,000 members. Sad but true - I have sometimes had to go elsewhere to get solutions to my technical and security problems. I suppose the loss of Nellie and the former regular technical contributions of Powerless (Chris) are examples of how the forum has been weakened.

Some of our members, me included, are also members of another forum which has only 45 members but it currently is a much more lively place - due perhaps to the fact that the admin and staff there are very active and are constantly starting new threads and competitions. I joined a while ago - but have only made a dozen posts there - for some inexplicable reason that forum does not appeal but I do admire the energy and drive of the founder admin members.

It may be that an internet forum has a "Life" like so many things in nature. When young it is inquisitive, makes much noise, is argumentative and needs lots of "food". The parents are also very active and provide constant stimulation. As it gets older the parents drift into the background and apathy creeps in. Energy diminishes, interest in life wanes and after a long and sterile old age it eventually dies.

I don't think it is confined to this forum. A number of well established - and very large - forums now have a very small postings rate and I think Alan's point: "It may be that an internet forum has a "Life" like so many things in nature." has more than a small amount of truth behind it.

I'm not suggesting that WF is in its death throes by any means, just the the slowdown is not unique to here.

Alan's post is very near to the mark in every respect. I enjoy the forum, and try to stir things up a little from time to time, but can only do so when there is something to stir up, and someone feels inclined to respond. I miss some of my old protagonists on here, we used to have some great political ding dongs.

Let's have an election declared and see if some of the old Labour brigade can be stirred into a response. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The last two posts are part of the reason, this is a Windows forum not a political debate forum.

The loss of certain experts has not helped but as pops says this is not only confined to this forum.

That is an interesting observation....I will try to reduce my postings to help the problem.

I would point out however that this thread is posted in "The Lounge" which is supposed to be used for "jokes and items nothing to do with a computer"

There are planty of forum sections devoted to Windows and technical matters.

I think one has to bear in mind that this is the holiday season and many people are absent - recently including myself, having just returned from a very pleasant trip. Lots of other forum's members are complaining about the apparent lack of posts. The summer always facilitates more outdoor interests.

It's just a seasonal 'blip'. ;)

The last two posts are part of the reason, this is a Windows forum not a political debate forum.

The loss of certain experts has not helped but as pops says this is not only confined to this forum.

That is an interesting observation....I will try to reduce my postings to help the problem.

I would point out however that this thread is posted in "The Lounge" which is supposed to be used for "jokes and items nothing to do with a computer"

There are planty of forum sections devoted to Windows and technical matters.

As Alan Ho has pointed out, there are planty of other sections on the forum besides those set aside for computer problems. If people don't want to subscribe to The Lounge, and Debates and poll sections then this is their choice. Personally, I enjoy the lighter forums, but also have learnt a lot from the experts in the other sections. Long may this forum reign as a multi purpose one. :D

I have the feeling that number of members and new posts will increase in the latter part of next month after the launch of the new version of Windows.

The way the pre-orders are going, I read that these already exceed the total number of copies of Vista in the whole of its first year. There is also, apparently, a large drop in computer sales in anticipation of the W7 launch (in addition to the recession).

Yet again, we have to consider that Windows is becoming more reliable with each new version that is issued so the number of problems associated with it are more easily fixed from within the O/S itself, sometimes automatically. Blue screens become less and less common with each successive issue number.

For anything to succeed, it is important that it keeps up with the times. Pops and rong have made very pertinent points that Windows is now much more robust and the requirement for support has therefore diminished. I am not convinced that the current shortfall in postings is just seasonal - it has been a trend for the last couple of years.

Way back in December 2007 Chris asked the question whether the Forum needed a refresh - presumably in response to the fact that at that time members, just like DW today, were expressing the view that the forum was flagging. There seemed to be some support for a tweak at that time but nothing happened.

See the post here

The forum skin and engine are excellent - nothing needs changing in that respect - but I still feel that the sub sections should be reviewed and re-titled to reflect changes in our "Market" and to clarify what should be posted where. I made some suggestions in the 2007 thread - but even they are now out of date

We should also perhaps formally recognise the existence of Linux (a version of andsome's Linus) and provide a forum for its users. We could also take a leaf from another book and provide a section for Consumer Topics of all sorts - it is a subject clearly popular on both PCA and CB forums.

The forum is stuck in a time warp and the founders seem to have cast it adrift to look after itself. Where are you Craig?

I am happy with the forum as it is, but am not adverse to changes as long as everyone is happy. Maybe we will see more posts when people rushing to be up with the latest get into trouble with W7.

Linus is quite a character isn't he? :lol:

I agree with what others have said about XP now being much more stable & therefore giving less problems. Also I would have thought that the official launch of W7 should bring in a lot of new questions & problems. A separate sub-section for it might raise more interest so-long as we have members who are using W7 & can answer the questions (which leaves me out for the time being).

I have joined a number of forums over the years but this is the only one I regularly visit. The layout is very clear & generally the posters are polite & don't put down people who ask very simple questions. Having the Lounge where people can let of steam is a good idea as then they are less likely to do it in the technical sections.

Layout is excellent and ease of posting is pretty good also. Making mistakes in things like posting pictures doesn't make the page freeze or crash, which is also good.

I'm sure the remarks about seasonal variations with people being on holiday etc are also true.

Is Board Admin able to determine from historical board statistics how many threads were started, how many posts were made and how many members we had in total for each month going back a few years.....?

If so it would make interesting reading

They are and Chris has done this several times. I'm sure he would do another if asked :)

Is Board Admin able to determine from historical board statistics how many threads were started, how many posts were made and how many members we had in total for each month going back a few years.....?

It must amount to several I would think. :lol:

.... Also I would have thought that the official launch of W7 should bring in a lot of new questions & problems. A separate sub-section for it might raise more interest so-long as we have members who are using W7 & can answer the questions.

I agree. We do need a separate section for Windows 7.

Do we also need a section that relates to x64bit ?

I haven't been around for a while and it's partly for the reasons stated.

Along with other small forums, CT for example, membership has declined and it's largely because not many have technical problems so they revert to the Lounge and games sections.

Most forums have a small but dedicated bunch of members who feel they should carry on supporting them.

The small forum with 45 members referred to is too frivolous for me as I actually like discussing politics and more interesting subjects.

Most of my time is now spent on IDF50 (you have to be over 50 years old - although they don't ask for D.O.B) and there are some really lively discussions on there. Then again, it has a hardcore of daily posters, but the admin do a sterling job and post daily themselves on all topics.

It's not just a seasonal decline, although I spend a lot of time outdoors in the summer, the general decline has been happening for a while.

Perhaps we have all outgrown forums ?

I don't think it is confined to this forum. A number of well established - and very large - forums now have a very small postings rate and I think Alan's point: "It may be that an internet forum has a "Life" like so many things in nature." has more than a small amount of truth behind it.

I'm not suggesting that WF is in its death throes by any means, just the the slowdown is not unique to here.

Yes I've noted other places decreasing.

A Windows forum only by name.

I think when this forum started Craig only knew Windows - so it made sense.

But things moved along and we have a whole lot more than what we did at the beginning

We have reacted to this although you have to look closely: Non-Windows Related Support. Although it is a rather general term?

We cannot change the domain name (we tried that once, remember? :( ).

The other thing that may cut the posts is that from XP until Vista windows has been more stable so less reason to look to solve a problem

Well Google can reveal most things these days. I think it is quicker to type a few words in Google and get an answer or a thousand than it is to type something lengthy on a forum.

The only one I can't easily do (and won't as I lack the know how) is how many members we had in total for each month.

.... Also I would have thought that the official launch of W7 should bring in a lot of new questions & problems. A separate sub-section for it might raise more interest so-long as we have members who are using W7 & can answer the questions.

I agree. We do need a separate section for Windows 7.

Do we also need a section that relates to x64bit ?

Windows 7 - yes. We did have a Vista forum when that launched.

x64 - Yes it would make sense these days.

I haven't been around for a while and it's partly for the reasons stated.

Along with other small forums, CT for example, membership has declined and it's largely because not many have technical problems so they revert to the Lounge and games sections.

Most forums have a small but dedicated bunch of members who feel they should carry on supporting them.

The small forum with 45 members referred to is too frivolous for me as I actually like discussing politics and more interesting subjects.

Most of my time is now spent on IDF50 (you have to be over 50 years old - although they don't ask for D.O.B) and there are some really lively discussions on there. Then again, it has a hardcore of daily posters, but the admin do a sterling job and post daily themselves on all topics.

It's not just a seasonal decline, although I spend a lot of time outdoors in the summer, the general decline has been happening for a while.

Perhaps we have all outgrown forums ?

Outgrown is about right.

You've made an important point there Chris.....so many people use Google these days and it's fairly easy to find the solution to most PC problems, if you know how to use the search engine.

Those with time on their hands use that method to help others and those who are busy working post a question on a forum and hope to find an answer when they return later.

Older members with lots of experience can't always help because things move on so fast that things change all the time.

Maybe that's why many forums have become just drop-in chat-rooms.

Well, whatever the reasons for falling numbers are, I still enjoy WF.

I certainly enjoy the social side, but when the occasion arises I find the support invaluable. Yes I can Google, but it's good to have the reassurance from other members. At times even I can offer a little help to others. ;)

Yes, a quick search on Google can often come up with the answer but, don't forget that a lot of Googles refer to this forum - as with other search engines. If you come on here at certain times of day (morning especially) there are numerous search engine spiders seeking information.