PC World - PC Health Check

Chris

Have you ever had a PC Health Check from PC World?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a PC Health Check from PC World?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm booked in for next week
    • What's one of them?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am told that PcW have some very competent staff. If that is true, I have yet to meet them (or competent staff in any other DSG store). On the contrary, I have been ridiculed and attempts have been made to rip me off.

So, to any DSG staff who may be here, remember that just because someone is in a wheelchair, it doesn't mean they are deaf, half-witted or ga-ga or even that they don't know more about computers than themselves.

I would no more let my computer be examined by PCW than I would install any Symantec/Norton product.

I do build all my own machines and, as such, I feel, and am, able to look after them myself.

No chance........I do it myself. This is my "baby" and I wouldn't trust anyone else.

My ma-in-law took hers in a couple of weeks ago. She took it in on a thursday and because she was away for the weekend told them she would pick it up on the monday.

She went along on the monday around dinner time and they hadn't even looked at it yet :o She had to wait until the tuesday to get it back :rolleyes:

Just seen their advert and they say it is a 50 point check, anyone any idea exactly what they do? :unsure:

i go to pcpitstop, and have recieve a lot of help on my system and they have not steered me wrong in any way. and pops mentioned stuff about norton, i use nis2004 and yes, i have some problems once in a while, but they always give me the help to fix it up and i have no complaints with that. maybe im just one in ten million people who dont get shafted by norton or pcpitstop, but im happy with them.

Cpt Kirk,

I am known here for my dislike of anything Norton. All Norton or Symantec software I have used in the past has given me problems - often major problems and, as a sometime builder/repairer of computers, I have have more complaints about Norton products then just about any other. If you get on with it, fine but, you say in your post that even you have problems with it - well, that is the sort of thing I don't want in any software - I want it to work.

Regarding PCPitstop, I'm sure Mark2 wasn't being at all disparaging about them. PCPitstop is a friend of Windows Forum and well respected here. I think he was making a humourous remark directed at PCW possibly using PCPitstop for free then charging a fee for doing that.

The report that I read in PCA, said that they induced various problems into several machines before taking them to various branches of PC World. In the main these problems were NOT corrected fully, including not even spotting an introduced virus. Several branches claimed that extra work needed doing at an extra charge of course. All in all a, NOT a very good recommendation.

Regarding Norton, sorry pops, but I too am a fan, using Personal Firewall, and System Works, to my complete satisfaction.

No need to apologise, andsome, about your liking for Norton. I'm sure that, for some people, it is perfectly acceptable but, I am not alone in my views about Norton/Symantec products being the spawn of the devil.

The attitude induced in me by using Norton products is too convoluted to go into detail here but, I can say that EVERY program from that stable has been a total disaster. This even extends to prducts that began as independents and which were than taken over by Symantec (Go Back and, latterly, Drive Image). This may sound far fetched or even supernatural but, it is the way I feel about it and nothing will shake me away from this viewpoint.

On the subject of PCW staff... I have met some very good ones, but I understand why people think they are no good as I have met quite a few useless ones as well. :rolleyes:

I would never use their healthcheck or recommend it to a friend as I'm sure I could check and clean any PC at least as well or better than PCW.

Norton products, you either get on great or you hate them, I get on great.