Neo Planet Announcement

Craig

Those that have been with the forum for longer than 9 months will need to sit back in a chair before reading past this paragraph to prevent any injury to yourself when you fall over. Those that haven’t been a member for longer than 9 months, you may stand, but I have a feeling this is going to be a very long topic to read!

Myself and the admin and moderating team had a discussion about the forum last week and we all agreed that the forum has pretty much come to a dead stop since the move to Neo Planet early this year.

We put our heads together to think of new ideas to get the forum up and running like it used to be. The majority of ideas were centred on advertising. Anything with a Neo Planet logo would be great, pens, pencils, T-shirts, etc. But we then came to realise that we are trying to promote a site that no one can really relate too. After all, in your mind, does Neo Planet say “computer support found here”?

So after a bit more of a discussion, I was amazed to see we all came up with the same idea, and a brilliant one if I say so myself!

You may have noticed over the past few days that pinned topics have been disappearing from areas of Neo Planet, and there has been a lot of activity from staff. This is because we have been busy editing topics in a special editing room, and cleaning up the forum ready for something big to take place.

On Christmas Eve, Neo Planet will be closing its doors at 1600 for the final time, and at 20:00 will be re-launching as Windows Forum.

We have now come to realise that Windows Forum was doing very well, and we were stupid to move. You learn from your mistakes!

I’m not going to do a Q and A on this post, as I know you will all have questions to ask, so ask them and I shall answer!

Well, I have one Q and A:

Q. What will happen to Neo Planet Webmail?

A. It is staying as it is.

Craig

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AS far as I am concerned there never was any problem with Windows Forum. I was under the impression that the name was changed because Microsoft had copyright on the name. But what the hell, I personally couldn't care less. Call it Fred or Eric if you like, as long as it is still here. It is the BEST of it's type on the internet. MANY MANY thanks to all the staff who make it so. 7.gif5.gif5.gif

1.gif

Just a little footnote. What makes this forum so sucessful is the fact that it is first class for help when it is needed, but it also has The Lounge and debates etc, and there is something for everyone, including idiots like me, (and one or two others who shall be nameless).

Myself and the admin and moderating team had a discussion about the forum last week and we all agreed that the forum has pretty much come to a dead stop since the move to Neo Planet early this year.

I was thinking that but didn't like to say it.

It seemed very quiet at times but as I never became a regular visitor until a few months after my initial registration, I never got to see how busy Windows Forum was but I couldn't imagine it any quieter than recently!

We have now come to realise that Windows Forum was doing very well, and we were stupid to move. You learn from your mistakes!

I'm glad as I quite liked the name Windows Forum and couldn't understand why you wanted to change apart from the hope that you were hoping to get more postings from alternative operating system platforms like Linux and Apple Mac but it doesn't seem to be happening.

As most PC related problems are Windows problems, I suppose it makes sense to call it Windows Forum.

This is of course IMHO :smile:

AS far as I am concerned there never was any problem with Windows Forum. I was under the impression that the name was changed because Microsoft had copyright on the name.

I thought this as well especially as around 6 months ago, I wanted to have the Microsoft Windows logo as my avatar but it was explained to me by PM that it wouldn't be allowed without express permission from Microsoft so I thought that the same problem occured with the old name 'Windows Forum'.

Edit:

I just realised that you won't be answering questions on this thread!

I'll change my specs! :ph34r:

(and one or two others who shall be nameless).

Thank you for including me in your footnote andsome. :laugh:

I agree with all replies on this topic. Whatever it takes to take it from strength to strength is OK with me. This is the first and last place I visit whenever I log on to the net. Life wouldn't be the same without it.

I have another query!

On some topics, the links are still shown as part of Windows Forum and are broken, so will everything be back to the way it was before the change to Neo Planet?

Also, I feel that since you changed to Neo Planet, you have had nothing but trouble, I mean look at all the server and database corruption problems that you have had recently.

Bad omen? :ph34r:

The links as the stand will not work as we are moving to a slightly different location on WF.

I just thought of another question now.

Will you still be running the new home of 'Windows Forum' on a dedicated server (like now) or will you be going back to a shared server as before?

However I will be looking at doing some work behind the scenes to fix all broken links.

Oh I didn't know this.

I don't think it's possible to fix all the broken links due to the sheer number of posts that you have on the server aprox 150,000 :ohmy:

When I read the notice: Neo Planet's FINAL Announcement, then went to the topic and was told I had better sit down to read it, I got very worried and thought perhaps you were shutting down the forum :ohmy:

I am SO GLAD that is not the case. :smile:

As the others have said, this is the best forum on the net regardless of what it's called.

I have already added the Backup Forum to my bookmarks, so I'm ready for the changeover.

Thank you to everyone who keeps this place so great. :newyear:

I would never have arrived here if it was not for the name Windows Forum.

I see what you mean as when I type in 'Neo Planet' in Google, the most popular hits are for the Neo Planet browser (which I've never heard of) :ph34r:

Also as Craig already mentioned in his initial post, you don't normally associate Neo Planet with computer support and having the wording 'Windows' in the forum title will, hopefully, mean that more members will find us and hopefully register and post here.

The links as the stand will not work as we are moving to a slightly different location on WF.

I just thought of another question now.

Will you still be running the new home of 'Windows Forum' on a dedicated server (like now) or will you be going back to a shared server as before?

Windows Forum is on the same dedicated server as Neo Planet, so no problems there!

However I will be looking at doing some work behind the scenes to fix all broken links.

Oh I didn't know this.

I don't think it's possible to fix all the broken links due to the sheer number of posts that you have on the server aprox 150,000 :ohmy:

I can run an SQL query to do a find and replace, although i am not too sure on the exact query to run as i have never done anything like this before!