Windows Media Player -- Bye Bye?

johnoo

2 minutes ago, AlanHo said:

Thanks for that Johnoo - duly noted. I use it all the time at present.

Same here. I've got it set as a "Default Ap." within Win. 10 just wonder what will happen.

I've also heard that Windows Photo Viewer will also go, rumor?

Again I use, what will happen?

14 minutes ago, Belatucadrus said:

That's one of the reasons I stuck with 8.1 despite the fact that I think the interface sucks. When I found out that the free version of 10 had no control of updates I sort of lost interest.

Soon you will have to chose between Win 10, Mac or be Linuxed.  Support for 8.1 will be stopped.

In any event - you can control the way Win 10 handles updates in the settings.

14 minutes ago, AlanHo said:

Soon you will have to chose between Win 10, Mac or be Linuxed.  Support for 8.1 will be stopped.

According to Microsoft :- The lifecycle of Windows 8.1 will remain under the same lifecycle policy as Windows 8 with support ending 1/10/2023 

So I'm not going to worry about it just yet. I missed the free upgrade window anyway so not much I could do about it other than pay for a new copy. To be honest most of the time I use Linux Mint. My last desktop went bottoms up at a time of slight fiscal pinch so Instead of going cutting edge I got a cheap PC and loaded Mint, just to keep me going a few months until I'd rejigged the finances. Years later I'm still using it as it does everything I want and can't really see the point of upgrading. 

Go Mac Johnoo. Brilliant operating System. The things you can do with ease is tremendous, and it doesn't have to cost you a fortune. Just Google for Mac operating System then look for a refurbished machine 17 inch or something around there. It won't cost you anywhere near a new Machine and will come with Twelve Month Warranty. :hi:

Erm I'm learning new things on here... for a technophobe this is good. In fact, it's great... I think?

Is Media Player going to vanish altogether in the future then? I'm always using it to play MP3 or 4 on my windows 7 laptop.

6 minutes ago, morty said:

Erm I'm learning new things on here... for a technophobe this is good. In fact, it's great... I think?

Is Media Player going to vanish altogether in the future then? I'm always using it to play MP3 or 4 on my windows 7 laptop.

Monty,

I'm learning as well, but very slowly!

I don't know about timing, all I can refer you to is the link in my post & ask an expert to advise additional details.

But it could just be a scare & they decide not to install KB4046355 in any future update.

But think one has to ask why are they even thinking of doing so, or have I missed the point?

9 minutes ago, morty said:

Is Media Player going to vanish altogether in the future then?

Only M$ know - johnoo's link above also tells you how to re-install it after Update KB4046355 removes it :) 

Hi johnoo and Boris .. it's nice to meet you .

Yes, I gather that you can reinstall it from an options list.

Phew ... I opted out of the free download for windows 10 and still run 7, which I think is great. But there will come a day when I have to bite the bullet, probably when I get a new machine.

After a quick google I gather this new update is coming on October 17th and is called Fall Creator.

Along with improvements it's going to strip a few things out .. but not kill them totally so you can recover them.

Computers confuse me and I just muddle along best I can as whilst I love what you can do on computers .. I hate the darn machines.

12 hours ago, Boris said:

Only M$ know - johnoo's link above also tells you how to re-install it after Update KB4046355 removes it :) 

I think there is some very strange wording in the link that I gave, for instance:-

"The feature Windows Media Player is still available on machines running the Fall Creators Update of Windows 10, but it is not installed by default (at least on those machines affected by this)."

Does this mean it will or will not be installed when the Fall Creators edition is released?

Also if WMP is not installed does this mean that all CD's that I, have copied to my M/c will be deleted?

43 minutes ago, johnoo said:

I think there is some very strange wording in the link that I gave, for instance:-

"The feature Windows Media Player is still available on machines running the Fall Creators Update of Windows 10, but it is not installed by default (at least on those machines affected by this)."

Does this mean it will or will not be installed when the Fall Creators edition is released?

I have seen a reference to forbes.com where a M$ spokesman has stated that the deletion of WMP was in fact an error by them ? 

You will have to wait until the 17th before you will know what will actually result from the Fall Creators Update !

Use VLC - it plays anything I have thrown at it :biggrin:

47 minutes ago, Boris said:

I have seen a reference to forbes.com where a M$ spokesman has stated that the deletion of WMP was in fact an error by them ? 

You will have to wait until the 17th before you will know what will actually result from the Fall Creators Update !

Use VLC - it plays anything I have thrown at it :biggrin:

Wot! M.Soft admitting to an error, as you say, we wait & see

I will have to confess that I am not a user of MS software and I am using a Windows  site. (My dislike started way back when we used to have "clockwork computers", running on spit and Dettol, and before "the man" conceived Windows).

I switched to linux several years ago and tried one or two different distros ( as the "aficionado" call them).  I would not go back to Windows even if there was no alternative. In fact I do not think I could bring my old brain to grasp the changes.

I run both, the desktop is Linux mint as is the Netbook, the laptop came loaded with 8.1 and while I'm not a fan I've learned to live with it. At the moment I have no reason to change anything and am happy for it to stay that way but really can't see myself ever bothering with a widows desktop again. If you're not a committed gamer most Linux packages do everything you need and come fully loaded with an office suite, media player etc and all for free. Sorting out peripherals isn't as easy as Windows but it's doable now without too much hassle. It used to be a pain that only real hard core nerds had any chance of resolving.

The things that bugs me about Microsoft is they seem to be heading to a total nannyish mentality, you will accept all updates and we can reset your program defaults because we know best. Sod off I've been using computers since before most of you lot were born, I reserve the right to decide how my PC works.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:39 PM, Belatucadrus said:

That's one of the reasons I stuck with 8.1 despite the fact that I think the interface sucks. When I found out that the free version of 10 had no control of updates I sort of lost interest.

You can still download and install a free copy of Windows 10.  I would advise you to - it is stable, fast and easy to use.

They are keeping the door open for people who need assisted technology like poor eyesight or hearing etc. If you look like your avatar you will definitely qualify.

As is happens, you are not asked any questions about your disability - I have now done it 3 times for friends and family.  The deal expires on Dec 31st.

https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/microsoft-qualcomm-hp-asus-lenovo-windows-10-on-snapdragon-windows-rt/

My disability is follicular migration, it's moved from the top of my head where I want it and has decided to grow out of my nose and ears as an alternative, does this qualify me ?

As with all predators ( check the avatar teeth, they're accurate ) my ears and eyes are OK, well apart from the heavy rock induced Tinnitus and I don't need the reading glasses to spot prey at a distance.

I don't use WMP so haven't tried this remedy, but just read this. Hope it helps.

(It) Silently removed windows media player, including some dlls used by various software. took some two hours to figure how to get it back: optional features + add feature in Apps & Features (the new settings way). The old add & remove programs won’t work…"