Flash flooding

Tankus

urpph..........

Water supply in Severn Trent area to be cut off as there's turds in the supply ...Gloucester Cheltenham and Tewkesbury will run dry of clean water in the next two hours as the main Severn Trent water plant supplying two holding reservoirs has been innundated ......Army to bring in bowsers

watersupply3ke7.jpgwatersupplyzk1.jpg

Around 300,000 people affected , Oxford councils run out of sand

...Red cross to evacuate Tewkesbury hospital ...

bloody bangladeshire innit

edit .....

panic buying of bottled water reported in the Severn Trent area ....

...Flood peak will take several days to clear through the natural drainage system..... more rain due tues .... The Severn river is running at a height of 10.4 meters

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

panic buying of bottled water reported in the Severn Trent area ....

We are about 20 miles south of Gloucester, but 2 hours ago I was amazed to see people coming out of our local Tesco with trolleys containing 2 or 3 dozen 2 litre bottles of Tesco Still water (nothing else !). :0

Our tap water supply comes from a different place/distribution network from the area affected ! :0

Total :censored: madness !

My relations in Gloucester tell me that you can't buy any bottled water anywhere in the city. Police were called to Asda this morning to help marshall bottled water buyers

Asda water buyers video

I stocked up on liquids from ASDA's today ...... but it had nothing to do with a potential water shortage .... arf...

If its brewed its fairly bug free .....!

edit..............................................................

got to wonder about these nutter's who deliberately go swimming in it !

At Gloucester Docks more than 500 people have gathered near to the banks of the River Severn which is expected to flood later this afternoon.The dockside bathed in sunlight took on an eerie atmosphere as police shut off roads in the flood zone.

Gloucester resident Ian Hancock and his partner Carrie Douch said they were concerned about further flooding when the river breached it's banks.

Builder Ian, 27, said: "We've come down to see what's going to happen. We got flooded out two weeks ago but it looks like it's someone else's turn this time.

Western press

"It's a surreal atmosphere. There's a lot of people here to watch what's going to happen. Everyone's rather quiet and the sun's blazing down. It's not what you associate with flooding."

The large crowd gathered just 30 metres from the banks of the dark brown swollen river which is currently rising at a rate of 10 millimetres per hour.

Mother of two Carrie Douch, 26, said the couple had driven more than 15 miles to buy water after people across the country started panic buying following the closure of a water treatment plant which has drastically reduced the water supply across the county.

She said "We've been to three supermarkets and water had sold out in all of them.

"We finally got three small bottles but there was only the really expensive stuff left. We've had to take precautions and filled up our bath with tap water just in case.

"The queues outside the supermarkets are horrendous. Everyone is desperate to get their hands on some water. We've heard stories of grown men pushing kids out of the way to get to bottles of the stuff - it's disgusting."

Daily Mail

We were still in Wales until Saturday. Not too bad there. Just the Friday with continuous rain. No flooding that we saw. Came home via the M4 as far as Wiltshire (? I think - could have been the Cotswolds) Then down the A34 - not much in the way of flooding to be seen along the way.

We're on a cliff so are the lucky ones.

Those poor people with ruined houses - for the second time in some cases.

I expect your booze was cheaper than the price one "entrepreneur" was charging for water - £8 per bottle !

Who would have imagined making money some 20 years ago by selling bottled water. :lol:

Evian..........Naive. B)

Bottled water is the biggest con of all in areas like the UK and other western countries with a decent water supply. Our water as supplied by South Staffordshire Water Co is not the best tasting in the world. This has been solved by purchasing a relatively cheap water filter that sits nicely into the refrigerator door. It costs a little over £4 per month for a replacement filter cartridge, and we have an endless supply of fresh, pleasant tasting chilled water. Tea and coffee both taste far better using this filtered water. Much better than paying the extortionate prices charged by the suppliers of bottled water. Who remembers 'Fools and Horses', the episode about Peckham water? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry if this is now straying off topic.

We're on a cliff so are the lucky ones.

Not wishing to put a damper on things, artist but, all of this heavy rain will encourage cliff erosion :(

Very true - and we do have one end where the cliffs are giving way at an alarming rate. Barton on sea, just up the road has a lot of cliff erosion.

One good thing Tankus, the Pubs will not run out of beer down there for years to come yet. I've always thought, from the 70's that the pubs had a hose ran underground to the Thames to the pump at the bar. :lol:

I never normally buy bottled water but these people must need it and I would in their circumstances.

Fortunately we are on quite high ground and only have the odd flood in low-lying areas when the drains cannot take it. :huh:

In those circumstances there is of course no alternative. Under normal circumstances however it is an absolute con. I see that the vermin are really coming out of their holes and selling at extortionate prices to those in dire need. Any crises seems to bring out the very best in many people, and the very very worst in the filthy dregs of society.

This news of course has been absolutely terrible, but as usual the media have gone right over the top with coverage. This morning on the news, they were showing pictures well over a week old. Coverage has been to the virtual exclusion of other news. We want to hear about such a tragedy in our country of course, BUT there is news has from other places which is also very important. For instance, the first that I head about the terrible heatwave hitting parts of Europe was last night on the radio from Classic F.M. news. I have still seen nothing on B.B.C.news.

More here

• 3 weeks later...

The Met Office is expecting a period of unseasonably wet and windy weather to affect the UK this week, with persistent rain arriving over England and Wales on Monday evening. Fairly large totals likely to mount up as it turns heavier and more widespread during Tuesday, with further heavy rain moving through on Wednesday. Totals of 25 mm or more are likely to build up in many places, especially in the west, with the risk of 50-75 mm in places. Wind will be strong too, and is likely to gust to 50 mph over coasts and hills, possibly more than 60 mph. The expected weather could cause some disruption and be hazardous for holiday makers engaged in leisure activities, e.g. sailing. The weather is expected to remain breezy with further showers into Thursday, though with the worst of the weather over by then. At this stage there is uncertainty about the areas affected and the severity of the weather, and the public is advised to monitor the forecast

Maps gone red again for Tue and Wed next week

Too far out yet for flood warnings , but they are expected to go out on Tuesday

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Severe flood warnings are in place on parts of the east coast of England, with the Environment Agency warning of "extreme danger to life and property".

Prime Minister Gordon Brown was chairing an emergency Cobra meeting, as low pressure and strong winds combined to cause a North Sea tidal surge

BBC

stormsurgerw7.th.jpg

3m surge on top of high tides ...

Strongest worded warning that Ive ever heard

Evacuations have already started

Suffolk online