'Er Indoors

andsome

I may have mentioned my wifes poor hands on here before, both hands are badly crippled with arthritis, but the right hand is the worst. I have to take her into hospital next Tuesday to have an operation, they are to fit plastic knuckles. Here are some pre operation photos. I don't think hands come much more badly crippled than this.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think hands come much more badly crippled than this.

I'm sure you are right there.

They also look as though they could be very painful. :(

I sincerely hope all goes well for her next Tuesday. :flowers:

Will they be operating on both hands on the same occasion?

I don't think hands come much more badly crippled than this.

I'm sure you are right there.

They also look as though they could be very painful. :(

I sincerely hope all goes well for her next Tuesday. :flowers:

Will they be operating on both hands on the same occasion?

As you can imagine, she has had an awful lot of pain. This was relieved at first with NS AIDS, but she then had to start taking more capsules for the upset caused to her stomach. She has had a lot of relief from pain by taking Methotrexate, but in turn this has had the unfortunate side affect of causing nodules to grow round the outsides of her feet. After the operation she is to try a new drug which she will inject once every two weeks with a mono jet injector. They then hope to wean her off the Methotrexate. They can only operate on one hand at a time due to the prolonged physio needed afterwards. She has been warned to expect quite a lot of post operative pain, and has been told that it may be up to three months before she can relax and say, 'that was well worth it'. To be honest, she has been golden over the years with what she has had to put up with due to this terrible disease. The new dug is called Humera. I just hope that everything works out well for her, she deserves it. :D

So sorry to see your wife's problems - us pensioiners have a lot to put up with one way or t'other. Here's hoping all goes well with the surgery and she is soon able to give you a good clip round the lug 'ole once again.

I also hope that things work out OK for 'er indoors andsome. At least she has got something which is treatable (hopefully) and that will get better in future day's. Please give her my regards and tell her I will be thinking about her. :flowers:

Blimey!!!

I showed the pictures to my son who said they are worthy of a medical textbook.

Your wife ought to have been treated before now.

Give her our best wishes. Son says the op will give her a new lease of life - when she has recovered, of course. Recovery does take some time.

I just hope that she does not have to suffer a postponement, having geared up for next Tuesday.

That would be unbearably cruel!

Surely they wouldn't do that.

The NHS can and does often do that. :angry:

Blimey!!!

I showed the pictures to my son who said they are worthy of a medical textbook.

Your wife ought to have been treated before now.

Give her our best wishes. Son says the op will give her a new lease of life - when she has recovered, of course. Recovery does take some time.

I put this down to rivalry. A rheumatology nurse suggested over two years ago that my wife should ask the consultant for a referral to a surgeon for a possible operation. He said that this would not help at all and any improvement would be purely cosmetic. The nurse later suggested that she should insist, which she did, so he reluctantly agreed. However, time passed and she heard nothing. When she went to her next appointment she asked again. Yet again nothing appeared to happen, so she telephoned his secretary who insisted that a referral letter had been sent. After several more weeks she telephoned the surgeons secretary who informed her that no such letter had arrived. When she chased things up again she was told that a copy would be sent. Yet again nothing happened, so the surgeons secretary said that she would take the matter up with the consultants secretary. She did eventually see the surgeon who said that providing the tendons were still viable, and that she was prepared for a fair amount of post operative pain, and intensive post operative physiotherapy, then he could offer her every chance of a successful outcome, so she decided to go ahead. The consultant has reluctantly given his blessing, but still insists that any improvement will be purely cosmetic. The rheumatology nurses who she sees from time to time insist however that this mans work is brilliant, and that many patients can testify to a considerable improvement. This is either rivalry between medical and surgical departments, or gross inefficiency by the secretary in question. However, all this is now water under the bridge, and we have our fingers crossed for next Tuesday. :D

I put this down to rivalry. A rheumatology nurse suggested over two years ago that my wife should ask the consultant for a referral to a surgeon for a possible operation. He said that this would not help at all and any improvement would be purely cosmetic. The nurse later suggested that she should insist, which she did, so he reluctantly agreed. However, time passed and she heard nothing. When she went to her next appointment she asked again. Yet again nothing appeared to happen, so she telephoned his secretary who insisted that a referral letter had been sent. After several more weeks she telephoned the surgeons secretary who informed her that no such letter had arrived. When she chased things up again she was told that a copy would be sent. Yet again nothing happened, so the surgeons secretary said that she would take the matter up with the consultants secretary. She did eventually see the surgeon who said that providing the tendons were still viable, and that she was prepared for a fair amount of post operative pain, and intensive post operative physiotherapy, then he could offer her every chance of a successful outcome, so she decided to go ahead. The consultant has reluctantly given his blessing, but still insists that any improvement will be purely cosmetic. The rheumatology nurses who she sees from time to time insist however that this mans work is brilliant, and that many patients can testify to a considerable improvement. This is either rivalry between medical and surgical departments, or gross inefficiency by the secretary in question. However, all this is now water under the bridge, and we have our fingers crossed for next Tuesday. :D

Puts me in mind of the three years I had to wait for my knee to get sorted out while my doctor hung around.

Got her to the hospital as planned at 7-30 A.M. After taking her blood pressure they said it was too high to safely operate. The anaesthetist said to give her a relaxant tablet. A second check half an hour later was OK. I have just spoken to the ward sister and evidently she is awake in the recovery room and is fine. The sister said that if I telephone at 3-30 to check and she is back on the ward, I can visit this afternoon instead of waiting until tonight. I am so pleased that it is all over. When I spoke to the surgeon this morning, he told me that it is a very intricate operation as there are twelve joints. As she has reasonable movement in the thumb, it was his intention at present to operate on the fingers only, as they are so bad.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Just one small disappointment. Due to going to surgery late, she was not back on the ward in time for me to visit her this afternoon, so I must wait until 6 P.M. Never mind though, these things happen, it's just a relief that all is well. :D